Monchengladbach sign defender Alvaro DominguezJune 28th, 2012 - 8:28 pm ICT by IANS
Berlin, June 28 (IANS) German side Borussia Monchengladbach has signed Atletico Madrid defender Alvaro Dominguez until June 2017, the club said in an official statement.
The 23-year-old central defender passed the medical check-up Tuesday to sign a five-year contract with the “Fohlen”, reported Xinhua.
“He was starting defender at Atletico Madrid, he has won the Europa League in 2010 and 2012. Moreover he was recently nominated for the Spanish national team. We are proud that he decided to join Monchengladbach,” sports director Max Eberl said.
Dominguez played three years for Atletico Madrid to score five goals in 76 matches in addition he won the Europa League twice. In September 2011 Dominguez was included in the Spanish national team for the first time. However, he was not considered for the final Euro 2012 squad.
“Monchengladbach is an attractive club. The club finished a fantastic season and it would be great to grab a place at the upper positions,” Dominguez said.
Last season Monchengladbach finished in a surprising fourth position to participate in European competitions.
- Del Bosque hints at taking uncapped players to Euro 2012 - May 16, 2012
- Monchengladbach sign Basel midfielder Xhaka - May 19, 2012
- Monchengladbach sign Dutch striker Luuk de Jong - Jul 19, 2012
- Atletico Madrid sign Turkish international - May 30, 2012
- Monchengladbach coach Lucien Favre extends contract - Jul 05, 2012
- Sao Paulo signs Assuncao from Atletico Madrid - Jul 22, 2012
- Spartak take on Fenerbahce in Champions League playoff - Aug 10, 2012
- Alba, Mata and Martinez in Spain's Olympic squad - Jul 04, 2012
- Atletico insists on need to change organisation of Spanish football - Sep 06, 2012
- Courtois returns to Atletico Madrid on loan - Jun 28, 2012
- Athletico Madrid sign Uruguayan winger Rodriguez - May 29, 2012
- Atletico the toast of Spanish football after surviving in Anfield - Apr 30, 2010
- UEFA embargo for Malaga and Atletico Madrid - Sep 12, 2012
- Manzano faces difficult night in Vicente Calderon - Dec 13, 2011
- Europa League: Atletico Madrid qualifies for knock-out stages - Dec 16, 2011