Monaco GP: Webber on pole, Hulkenberg miss top-10May 26th, 2012 - 10:19 pm ICT by IANS
Monaco, May 26 (IANS) Mercedes’ Michael Schumacher was fastest at the Formula One Monaco Grand Prix qualifying here Saturday but his five-place grid penalty incurred from the last race elevated Mark Webber to pole position. Force India’s Nico Hulkenberg missed Q3 by a whisker.
Webber, who set 1min 14.381secs, will start at the front for Red Bull alongside Nico Rosberg. The Mercedes driver came up with 1:14.448 to start ahead of McLaren’s Lewis Hamilton, who timed 1:14.583.
Schumacher added spice to the unpredictable season by clocking the fastest time of 1:14.301 but his penalty following a collision with Williams’ Bruno Senna in the Spanish Grand Prix denied the seven-time champion a first pole since his comeback to F1 in 2010. He will now start from sixth place.
Sahara Force India’s Hulkenberg and Paul di Resta set the 11th and 15th fastest time. It will be a challenge for both to finish in the top-10 as the street circuit provides minimal chance of overtaking.
“I felt pretty happy with the balance of the car during FP2 Thursday, but unfortunately it didn’t carry over for qualifying. We haven’t changed much on the car, but I was struggling with the rear and with traction,” said di Resta.
“I am not as far up the grid as I would like to be and it leaves us with a hard task tomorrow, especially because it is so difficult to overtake here. But we also know that Monaco can be an unpredictable race and I hope the strategy can help us fight back.”
- Chinese GP: Rosberg takes maiden F1 pole, Force India out of top-10 - Apr 14, 2012
- Alonso takes pole in British GP qualifying, Nico 9th fastest - Jul 08, 2012
- Button races to 1st pole for McLaren in Belgium - Sep 01, 2012
- McLaren lock front row in Italy - Sep 08, 2012
- Webber wins in Monaco, Force India earn double points - May 28, 2012
- German GP: Hulkenberg 5th fastest, di Resta 9th - Jul 21, 2012
- Force India record season's best finish at Valencia - Jun 24, 2012
- German GP: Alonso zooms to second straight pole - Jul 21, 2012
- Hamilton takes pole in Malaysian GP, Force India disappoint - Mar 24, 2012
- Vettel takes pole for Indian GP, Karthikeyan penalised - Oct 29, 2011
- Force India's di Resta 8th fastest in Canadian GP qualifying - Jun 10, 2012
- Maldonado wins maiden F1 race, Hulkenberg comes 10th - May 13, 2012
- Force India's Sutil 8th fastest in opening practice at Monaco GP - May 26, 2011
- Sutil, di Resta 14th and 15th fastest in Monaco qualifying - May 28, 2011
- Vettel takes pole, di Resta 10th in Bahrain - Apr 21, 2012
Tags: bruno senna, fastest time, force india, fp2, lewis hamilton, mark webber, michael schumacher, minimal chance, monaco gp, monaco grand prix, nico hulkenberg, nico rosberg, place grid, pole position, red bull, s lewis, senna, time champion, unpredictable race, whisker