Mohun Bagan lose 1-2 to Al Wihdat in AFC CupMarch 17th, 2009 - 10:45 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, March 17 (IANS) Mohun Bagan failed to hold on to an early lead and went down 1-2 against Jordan’s Al Wihdat in an AFC Cup Group D outing at Howrah Municipal stadium near here Tuesday.
In an action-packed first half, the hosts took the lead in the 13th minute through Rakesh Masih, but the Jordanians equalised within two minutes as Mahmoud Shelbaieh found the target, and Hassan Abdel Fatah scored the winner three minutes from lemon break.
Mohun Bagan created some good chances but failed to capitalise on them, as they slipped into their second straight defeat in as many games. For Wihdat, this was their first victory in the tournament, after having drawn 1-1 opposite Kuwait SC at home last week.
Bagan began well and in the very seventh minute a power-packed left footer from Lalkamal Bhowmick almost put the home side ahead, but Wihdat goalkeeper Malek Samih managed to save the situation at the cost of a corner.
But Bagan kept up the pressure and tested success within six minutes. L James Singh initiated a move and fed a long pass to Bhaichung Bhutia, whose pass was finished off with a 30-yard pile driver by Masih.
The tourists got the equaliser exploiting a Mohun Bagan defensive lapse. Shelbaieh showed his cool temperament as he nodded home a cross from right wing Issa Alsapah.
Carrying out waves of attacks from the right, Wihdat snatched the winning lead in the 42nd minute as Fatah stabbed in a left footer by following up an aerial ball from Shelbaieh.
The Bagan midfielders had a lacklustre outing and this gave the crucial advantage to the Jordanians in the creative zone.
In the second session, substitute Branco Cardozo came close to scoring for the locals but his weak header off an N. Mohanraj ball was not enough to beat Samih.
Some time later, another replacement Brazilian Marcos Pereira ballooned over an Ishfaq Ahmed square pass.
- Mohun Bagan ground Air India 3-1 in I-League - Dec 28, 2011
- Sporting Clube stun Mohun Bagan in I-League - Jan 19, 2012
- Federation Cup: Wahingdoh shock Mohun Bagan - Sep 18, 2011
- JCT pip Bagan 2-1 in I-League - Oct 08, 2009
- Sporting stay confident against Prayag - Jan 27, 2012
- Mohun Bagan appoints Bhowmick as technical director - Dec 14, 2010
- Dempo, Bagan set up final date - Dec 19, 2008
- Bagan go down to Mahindra United, finish second in I-League - Apr 16, 2009
- Federation Cup: Mohun Bagan bow out, Wahingdoh upset Churchill - Sep 20, 2011
- Barreto misses penalty as Salgaocar hold Bagan 1-1 - Apr 10, 2010
- I-League: Barreto scores in his swansong as Bagan blank Pune FC - May 06, 2012
- Bhowmick takes over as Mohun Bagan technical director - Dec 15, 2010
- Santosh Trophy: Goa, Services win - Jul 31, 2010
- Mohun Bagan play with 10 men to move into IFA Shield final - Sep 10, 2009
- I-League: Dempo hold Mohun Bagan - Apr 01, 2012
Tags: afc cup, bhutia, creative zone, defensive lapse, equaliser, fatah, first victory, goalkeeper, ishfaq ahmed, issa, malek, masih, midfielders, mohun bagan, pile driver, samih, second session, six minutes, straight defeat, target