Mohun Bagan-Bhaichung row ridiculous, says HoughtonJune 18th, 2009 - 5:08 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 18 (IANS) India’s chief football coach Bob Houghton Thursday termed the ongoing row between Mohun Bagan and national captain Bhaichung Bhutia as “ridiculous”, saying the spat could have been easily avoided.
Mohun Bagan has suspended Bhaichung for six months, alleging that the striker has given an unsatisfactory reply to the show cause notice slapped on him by the I-League club after he skipped some practice sessions and an exhibition game to take part in the dance reality show “Jhalak dikhla Ja”.
Houghton felt the issue was blown out of proportion.
“Mohun Bagan look ridiculous and Bhaichung is also a loser because he is suffering. They could have avoided the situation from turning into a nuclear explosion. It is ridiculous for Indian football,” said Houghton at the All India Football Federation (AIFF) headquarters here.
The Briton said that Bhaichung is an asset for the country and deserved better treatment from the club.
“Bhaichung is an asset for the country. Had it been the case with the national team, we would have just laughed over it and allowed him (Bhaichung) to go. In no way, I would have taken it to the AIFF executive committee,” he said.
Houghton said that Mohun Bagan made a big mistake by taking the issue to its executive committee and making it public.
Bhaichung has vowed not to play for Mohun Bagan again and has expressed faith in the AIFF and the state association, Indian Football Association (IFA) to get justice.
- Bhaichung to appeal against Mohun Bagan's suspension notice - Jun 09, 2009
- Bhaichung to challenge Mohun Bagan's suspension order (Lead) - Jun 09, 2009
- Revamped I-League has to be pan-Indian, says Bhutia - Feb 25, 2012
- Bhutia moves AIFF on Bagan dispute - Jul 10, 2009
- P.K.Banerjee to be conferred Mohun Bagan Ratna - Jul 07, 2011
- Bhutia signs for East Bengal - Sep 30, 2009
- Bhutia says Houghton is not racist, blasts referee Nair - Oct 30, 2010
- The 107 caps of Bhaichung Bhutia (Career statistics) - Aug 24, 2011
- Bagan officials publicity hungry, egotist: Bhaichung - Jun 16, 2009
- Tuboi was eligible to play for Shillong Lajong - May 27, 2011
- I-League clubs agree to release players for Caribbean tour - Aug 08, 2011
- Subhas Bhowmick resigns as East Bengal coach - Oct 26, 2009
- I-League clubs skip last meeting of ad-hoc committee - May 04, 2012
- AIFF suspends Naik and Gawli, appoints Dhar as I-League CEO - Nov 30, 2009
- Bhaichung upset with AIFF summoning him on match eve - Aug 30, 2009
Tags: aiff, bhaichung bhutia, bob houghton, briton, coach bob, executive committee, exhibition game, football association, football coach, football federation, indian football, loser, mohun bagan, New Delhi, nuclear explosion, practice sessions, proportion, reality show, spat, striker