Mohun Bagan beat Churchill to win season-ending Super CupApril 26th, 2009 - 10:47 pm ICT by IANS
Gurgaon, April 26 (IANS) A late strike from Jose Ramires Barreto guided Mohun Bagan to their third trophy of the season, beating I-League champions Churchill Brothers 2-1 in the one-off Super Cup tie at the Devilal Sports Complex here Sunday.
Federation Cup winners Mohun Bagan took the lead in the 21st minute through N.S. Manju’s header but an own goal from Dipak Mondal in the 45th minute neutralised the advantage. It was then left to Brazilian striker Baretto who nodded in the 88th minute to score the winner for the Kolkata team.
Having lost badly in their last two matches against Mahindra United (in I-League) and Kuwait SC (in AFC Cup), nothing less than a win could have been apt for Mohun Bagan to cap off the season.
Mohun Bagan, who finished runners-up in the I-League after losing to Mahindra in the final round, opened confidently under the burning sun with skipper Bhaichung Bhutia and Baretto running in hard.
Mohun Bagan could have taken an early lead, but Bhutia missed a sitter in the 10th minute when he had an open net but shot wide. The well marked Bhutia got another chance after he was fed by L. James Singh’s well directed shot but his header was off target again.
Defender Manju then came up and nodded in from James’ flag-kick as Mohun Bagan took the lead in the 21st minute.
After taking the lead, Mohun Bagan looked relaxed. And that allowed Reisangmi Vashum to sneak into the box and his shot kissed Mondal’s legs into the net.
Churchill showed more intent in the second half with their star striker Odafe Onyeka Okolie trying to making some inroads but Mondal atoned for his own goal by making some excellent sliding clearance.
Churchill were completely caught off-gaurd when Mohan Raj, against the run of play, crossed to a waiting Baretto, who headed into the net as Mohun Bagan pocketed th Rs.1 million prize money while the I-League champions were left licking their wounds.
Mohun Bagan coach Karim Bencherifa said that that it was a great way to end the season by beating a champion team like Churchill.
Skipper Bhutia was equally elated and said: “We have played well through out the season. The players have been in fine form and the coach was supportive too. It was a complete package from Mohun Bagan.”
- Sporting Clube stun Mohun Bagan in I-League - Jan 19, 2012
- I-League: Dempo hold Mohun Bagan - Apr 01, 2012
- East Bengal, Lajong in Fed Cup semis - Sep 21, 2011
- Odafe hat-trick hands Mohun Bagan crucial win - Jan 15, 2012
- I-League: HAL hold Mohun Bagan to a goalless draw - Apr 06, 2012
- Mohun Bagan beat Mahindra to make 27th Durand Cup final - Sep 20, 2009
- Depleted Salgaocar face Mohun Bagan challenge - Apr 13, 2012
- Odafa rescues Mohun Bagan again in I-League - Feb 11, 2012
- East Bengal, Mohun Bagan finish 1-1 in I-League - Feb 04, 2012
- Bagan go down to Mahindra United, finish second in I-League - Apr 16, 2009
- Churchill Brothers looking to end season with Super Cup win - Apr 25, 2009
- Second string Dempo thrash East Bengal 3-1 in Super Cup - Dec 01, 2010
- I-League win with Salgaocar was sweetest, says Bencherifa - Jun 01, 2011
- Salgaocar edge past Chirag 1-0 in I-League - Apr 29, 2012
- Prayag United, Mumbai FC shock rivals - Nov 23, 2011
Tags: atoned, bhutia, burning sun, caught off gaurd, churchill brothers, cup tie, cup winners, federation cup, inroads, karim, mahindra united, manju, mohan, mondal, onyeka, prize money, ramires, star striker, taking the lead, target