Mohammad Asif can only visit Dubai after 25 years!April 29th, 2009 - 2:46 pm ICT by ANI
Lahore, Apr.29 (ANI): Tainted Pakistan fast bowler Mohammad Asif could only return to Dubai after 25 years, if the appeal made by Dubai’s senior public prosecutor is accepted by the court.
The senior public prosecutor in Dubai Shakir Hashim Al Darmakl, while contradicting reports which said that Asif has not been banned for life from entering Dubai, said: “It is a 25-year-ban that I had recommended for him for carrying a drug.”
Darmakl informed that during Asif’s 19 day detention in Dubai, his eyes were also scanned to prevent him from entering the city.
“If he tries to enter into this country by any other passport again, he can easily be caught,” The Daily Times quoted Darmakl, as saying.
Asif had earlier claimed that he was not deported from the UAE for possessing a banned substance.
He had told the PCB enquiry committee looking after the issue, that he was not deported from Dubai.
The chief of the enquiry committee, Wasim Bari, said that the committee has asked Asif to supplement his claims by documents.
“Asif told us verbally that he can enter the UAE, but we need a document to back up his claim. We want to give him time to prove it otherwise. We want to give Asif as much time as we can. If he fails to submit the required letter by the first week of next month, we will submit our findings to the PCB,” Bari told mediapersons.
Asif is also facing a one year ban from the Indian Premier League (IPL) for testing positive for the nandrolone during the league’s inaugural season in September last year. (ANI)
- PCB fines Asif for Dubai drugs detention - Jul 02, 2009
- PCB fines Asif over Dubai misadventure - Jul 02, 2009
- Asif's absence angers Pakistan cricket board's probe committee - May 11, 2009
- UAE refuses to lift ban on Asif - Feb 08, 2010
- Asif gets one-year IPL ban for positive dope test - Jan 30, 2009
- PCB to consider Akhtar, Asif for Champions trophy: Bari - Jul 10, 2009
- PCB attempts to revoke UAE travelling restrictions on Asif - Feb 01, 2010
- PCB assures Asif of fair trial under its anti-doping regulations - Jan 21, 2009
- Fast bowler Asif may be fined for Dubai misadventure - May 30, 2009
- PCB says UAE clearance for banned Asif too late - Apr 13, 2011
- Asif hopes to be cleared of the dope charges - Jan 26, 2009
- Asif barred entry in UAE for New Zealand ODI - Oct 19, 2009
- PCB sets up committee to probe Asif's Dubai case - Jan 20, 2009
- PCB unsure of Asif in series against Kiwis - Oct 17, 2009
- Butt believes Asif will be back in Pakistan squad soon - Jan 23, 2009