Mittal wins gold, Rathore flops in Asian clay shootingFebruary 25th, 2008 - 11:28 pm ICT by admin
Jaipur, Feb 25 (IANS) Ajay Mittal clinched the gold medal in junior men category and also helped India win the team gold on a day when 2004 Olympic silver medallist Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore failed to enter the double trap finals of the Asian Clay Shooting Championship here Monday. Mittal shot 126 points to clinch the top spot. He along with Sangram Singh Dahiya (114 points) and Chetan Kumar Sanwal (98) helped India garner 338 points to finish clinch the gold medal on a windy day.
Qatar settled for the silver medal with 284 points.
Rathore, who won the historic silver at the Athens Olympic Games, and Ronjan Sodhi disappointed their fans as they failed to make it to the finals.
Rathore, from whom the country expects another good performance at the 2008 Beijing Olympics in August, fired rounds of 45,43 and 41 to aggregated 129 and Sodhi (38, 44, 47) finished an identical score.
Promising Vikram Bhatnagar was the lone Indian to enter the finals, and win the bronze medal with a tally of 134 points.
Saif Al Shamshi of the United Arab Emirates won the gold with 138 points and his teammate Hamad Al-Marari the silver with 136.
Kuwait won the team gold medal with 395 points, Qatar the silver with 393 and India finished third with 392.
Indian women also disappointed, though Varsha Tomar (74), Seema Tomar (70) and Shreyasi Singh (66) joined hands to clinch the silver medal with 210 points in the shotgun event.
- Olympic dreams over for Rathore and Anjali (Lead) - Jan 14, 2012
- Asian shooting: India win silver and two bronze in team events - Jan 14, 2012
- I can prove myself again: Rathore - Feb 01, 2012
- Selectors have to take a call on shooter Rathore - Feb 18, 2012
- Olympics: India on a medal count - Jul 27, 2012
- CWG shooting: Indians rule the range with two more gold (Roundup) - Oct 07, 2010
- Olympics: India hope to get lion's share from the ranges (Preview) - Jul 27, 2012
- Coach Thomas to leave for Olympics with three shooters - Jul 05, 2012
- No place for Rathore; Joydeep, Heena selected for London Olympics - Feb 19, 2012
- Sodhi wins gold in World Cup shooting final - Oct 04, 2011
- London Olympics can see a record number of Indian shooters - Jun 12, 2011
- Indian shooters aim to cross Melbourne medal tally - Sep 12, 2010
- Shooter Rahi Sarnobat books London Olympics berth - May 19, 2011
- Junior world champion Noria replaces Rathore in CWG shooting squad - Sep 01, 2010
- Asian Games shooting: Ronjan breaks India's gold jinx, bronze for double trap team (Lead) - Nov 21, 2010
Tags: 2008 beijing olympics, ajay, al marari, athens olympic games, bhatnagar, bronze medal, clay shooting, double trap, indian women, junior men, olympic games, olympic silver, rajyavardhan singh rathore, shotgun, silver medal, silver medallist, team gold medal, teammate, united arab emirates, windy day