Missiles to be deployed at six London sites to protect OlympicsMay 1st, 2012 - 3:16 pm ICT by IANS
London, May 1 (IANS) The British ministry of defence (MOD) has identified six sites in the east of London for deployment of ground-to-air missile batteries to protect the Olympic and Paralympic Games scheduled for July-August.
The deployment will be part of the plans for a major exercise this week to test Olympic security called Olympic Guardian, Xinhua reports.
The exercise begins Wednesday and runs until May 10, and the MOD said in a statement that it would result in a visible presence of armed forces personnel, ships and aircraft.
The drill will include the high-profile appearance of the Royal Navy’s flagship and largest vessel HMS Ocean at Greenwich, which is the venue for the Olympic equestrian events and is only a couple of kilometers from the Olympic Park in the Stratford district of east London.
HMS Ocean is a helicopter carrier and floating command center while naval helicopters will also be used.
Naval early warning helicopters and Royal Air Force helicopters will be deployed at an army base in Ilford, several kilometers to the east of the Olympic Park and RAF Typhoon jet fighters will fly across the London skies as part of the exercise.
The MOD said the anti-aircraft missile batteries would be fitted with practice drill missiles at the six sites, ringing the Olympic Park.
The secretary of state for defence Philip Hammond said, “Support for the Olympic Games will be an important task and the exercise is about pushing our people and our systems to the limit to ensure that we are ready for the challenge.
“The majority of the exercise will be played out in full view of the public and I hope that it will have a secondary effect of reassuring that everything possible is being done to ensure a safe and secure Olympic and Paralympic Games.”
- Olympics: London residents may get air defense systems on rooftops - Apr 30, 2012
- British Royal Marines practise Olympic security - Jan 17, 2012
- 13,500 troops to be deployed for London Olympics - Dec 16, 2011
- Thousands of missing Libyan missiles threat to London Olympics - Dec 19, 2011
- Poison drones new Olympic threat - May 06, 2012
- Drought in London during Olympics? - Mar 13, 2012
- Surface-to-air missiles to be mounted atop London building - Apr 29, 2012
- Iran building its second naval destroyer - Dec 26, 2011
- Tsunami-hit Japan opts out of India-US naval war game - Apr 01, 2011
- Paralympic Games: Over 70,000 new tickets go on sale - Aug 27, 2012
- US offers aircraft carrier for London Olympics' security - Oct 31, 2010
- India, Russia to hold naval exercise (Lead) - Apr 19, 2011
- India, Turkey navy wargames begin Sunday - Jul 07, 2011
- London holds pre-Olympics terror attack drill - Feb 23, 2012
- 4,000 people to take part in London 2012 test event - Apr 24, 2012
Tags: air missile, army base, british ministry of defence, east london, helicopter carrier, hms ocean, jet fighters, london sites, london skies, missile batteries, naval helicopters, olympic equestrian events, olympic park, olympic security, paralympic games, philip hammond, raf typhoon, royal navy, stratford district, visible presence