Mishra, Odoyo set up a fighting 198 for Kenya (Lead)March 7th, 2011 - 8:26 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 7 (IANS) Tanmay Mishra and Thomas Odoyo struck half centuries as Kenya recovered from a bad start to post a fighting 198 against Canada in a World Cup Group A match here Monday.
Mishra (51) and Odoyo (51) shared a 57-run stand for the seventh wicket.
The Mumbai-born Mishra was involved in a critical 52-run partnership with captain Jimmy Kamande (22) for the sixth wicket after the team was tottering at 57/5 at the end of 15 overs. Paceman Henry Osinde(4/26) was the pick of the bowlers as he ran through the Kenyan top order.
After electing to bat, Kenya lost their top three batsmen at the score of 21 in seven overs. The Kenyan batsman struggled against the pace duo of Osinde and Harvir Baidwan (2/41), who increased his tally to nine wickets in the tournament.
Osinde maintained a nagging off-stump line from ball one and was rewarded with a wicket on the second ball of the match, picking up the experienced Maurice Ouma for a duck.
He next castled the 20-year-old Seren Waters (2) and Kenya were reeling at 7 for two in five overs. David Obuya (2), who scored a fifty in the last match against Sri Lanka, was Osinde’s third victim.
The African nation needed a partnership from Collins Obuya and veteran batsman Steve Tikolo. Collins made a quickfire 31 off 35 balls that included three fours and a straight six off left arm spinner Parth Desai. He then got out to a rash shot with Baidwan rattling his stumps. Seasoned batsman Tikolo made 12 off 20 balls before Rizwan Cheema trapped him lbw.
Mishra and Kamande showed character and prevented another embarrassment for the team, which lost its previous three matches by huge margins.
Mishra’s 73-ball knock was well constructed and included only three boundaries. He took his time in the middle and did not play a lose shot unlike the other batsmen. He was quick to give strike to the more experienced Odoyo, who went after the bowlers and smashed five fours and a six in his 62-ball innings.
Canada have won the last three matches against Kenya but considering that they have not been consistent with the bat in the tournament, the match can go down the wire.
- Bagai, Hansra secure five-wicket win for Canada (Roundup) - Mar 08, 2011
- World Cup scoreboard: Canada vs Kenya, Group A - Mar 07, 2011
- World Cup: Kenya elect to bat against Kenya - Mar 07, 2011
- World Cup: Kenya elect to bat against Canada (Lead, superseding previous story) - Mar 07, 2011
- World Cup Scoreboard, Canada vs Kenya, Group A (Lead) - Mar 08, 2011
- Canada have the edge over Kenya (Preview) - Mar 06, 2011
- Canada bowl out Kenya for 198 - Mar 07, 2011
- World Cup: Pakistan make slow start against Kenya - Feb 23, 2011
- Word Cup scoreboard: Australia vs. Kenya - Mar 14, 2011
- Scoreboard: Pakistan vs Kenya, World Cup Group A - Feb 24, 2011
- Defending champions Australia in quarters with 60-run win over Kenya (Roundup) - Mar 14, 2011
- Australia elect to bat against Kenya - Mar 13, 2011
- Afridi takes five, Pakistan crush Kenya by 205 runs - Feb 23, 2011
- World Cup teams: Strengths and key players - Feb 18, 2011
- Scoreboard of Kenya's innings against New Zealand - Feb 20, 2011
Tags: african nation, boundaries, bowlers, captain jimmy, centuries, desai, embarrassment, last match, left arm, margins, New Delhi, nine wickets, ouma, parth, quickfire, stumps, tally, tanmay, wicket, world cup