Minor basketball player saved from marriageJuly 6th, 2011 - 2:25 pm ICT by IANS
Jhajjar, July 6 (IANS) A teenaged national-level basketball player was saved from entering into wedlock with a man almost double her age in this Haryana district, police said Wednesday.
Police got information about the illegal wedding and, accompanied by the district child marriage prohibition officer, conducted a raid at Naungaon village late Tuesday evening and saved the 17-year-old player promising player.
“The victim was a minor and she was not ready to marry a man double her age,” Jhajjar district police chief Patram Singh said.
The girl’s parents wanted to marry her to a man hailing from Hisar district to save the family’s honour as they suspected that their daughter was raped by a senior basketball player of Haryana, police said.
“One of the relatives of the girl told the police that she was raped by a senior basketball player. We have directed them to file a formal complaint against that player so that proper action could be taken,” Singh said.
- Haryana cop, four youths arrested in gang rape case - Jun 18, 2011
- Haryana cop arrested in gangrape case - Jun 21, 2011
- Acid attack on woman volleyball player in Haryana - May 26, 2012
- Haryana sets up police stations to check power, water theft - Feb 05, 2011
- Rs.40 lakh looted from Haryana farmer - Jun 30, 2012
- Doctors among four charged with rape - May 25, 2012
- Women achievers spotlight Haryana's irony (Haryana Newsletter) - May 11, 2012
- Haryana woman, daughter commit suicide - Aug 17, 2012
- Three held in Gurgaon for college girl's gangrape - Jun 08, 2012
- Haryana bus strike hits thousands (Second Lead) - Jun 08, 2011
- Two arrested for honour killing in Haryana - Nov 28, 2010
- Two held for molesting minors in Bengal - Sep 02, 2012
- Caste row leaves man badly injured - Feb 16, 2012
- Three of family burnt to death in road accident - May 24, 2011
- Father held for killing teenaged daughter - Jun 14, 2011