Mills backs New Zealand to peak ‘Mt. Everest of cricket’February 9th, 2011 - 4:21 pm ICT by ANI
Auckland, Feb 9(ANI): New Zealand fast bowler Kyle Mills has described the World Cup task in front of his side akin to climbing Mt. Everest.
However, Mills believes that his team can overcome the odds and succeed in climbing the gigantic hurdle that confronts them.
“The nature of cricket is that you have to forget past results. You can’t dwell on the negatives too much. You really have to keep looking forward because if you go into games with your head down, you are going to be beaten up from ball one,” Stuff.co.nz quoted Mills, as saying.
“If we go over there, perform well and bring back the World Cup - and it’s going to be a massive challenge for us because it’s in the subcontinent against some very good sides.”
“But if we can climb the Mt. Everest I think people will forget the last few months,” he added.
New Zealand have managed to win only two games from their past 16 ODIs, and heads into the two-month tournament on the back of the 3-2 series loss to Pakistan.
The Black Caps have warm-up matches against Ireland in Nagpur on Saturday, and India in Chennai on February 16.
They will begin their campaign on February 20 against Kenya. (ANI)
- Bond says big-hitting batsman hold key to Kiwis' chances at 2011 World Cup - Nov 25, 2010
- Williamson to miss New Zealand's World Cup flight due to chest infection - Feb 08, 2011
- Ex Kiwi cricketer Adam Parore to climb Mt. Everest for charity - Mar 09, 2011
- Dave Currie's New Zealand team manager position to be reviewed - Feb 14, 2011
- New Zealand 'down on confidence' heading into World Cup: Doull - Feb 06, 2011
- 2011 World Cup is not beyond 'struggling' Kiwis: Vaughan - Dec 06, 2010
- Kane Williamson to rejoin world cup team - Feb 11, 2011
- Vettori, Wright defend New Zealand team selection after defeat to Australia - Feb 27, 2011
- New Zealand to seek inspiration from near miss at ICC Champions Trophy - Feb 13, 2011
- Black Caps going to 2011 World Cup with poor form, loss of confidence - Feb 07, 2011
- Vettori expected to play in WC quarterfinal against Proteas, Mills out - Mar 25, 2011
- Vettori to miss third ODI against Pakistan - Jan 26, 2011
- Rotation taking a toll of Black Caps: Vettori - Feb 01, 2011
- How and Bennett now key Black Cap figures - Jan 21, 2011
- Black Caps manager Currie asks players to avoid clashes during semi-final - Mar 27, 2011
Tags: auckland, black caps, chennai, climbing mt everest, cricket, hurdle, India, ireland, kyle mills, massive challenge, mt everest, nagpur, new zealand, odds, odis, pakistan, subcontinent, two games, world cup