Milan stay to extend Beckham’s career till 2010 World CupFebruary 12th, 2009 - 7:40 pm ICT by IANS
London, Feb 12 (IANS) Former captain David Beckham feels that his stay at AC Milan will help extend his England career till the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.
“Do I have to stay at Milan to be in the England squad? Who knows? I’ve been in the majority of squads while I’ve been with the Galaxy. But if I want to carry on playing at this level, which I do, I want to stay in Milan. It depends now on the negotiations,” Beckham was quoted as saying by Daily Telegraph.
Negotiations are going on between Beckham’s owners LA Galaxy and Milan to extend the mid-fielder’s stay at the Italian Serie A club.
“Obviously everyone wants it sorted out as quickly as possible because it’s been going on for a while now. The negotiations have started between Galaxy and Milan and we’ll have to wait and see,” Beckham said.
But for Beckham, the first task will be to convince MLS club Galaxy to complete a deal with Milan. There are signs of an imminent decision, with MLS commissioner Don Garber having called for a resolution by Friday.
“Fitness-wise it has done me the world of good being at Milan. I’m a lot fitter than I was a few months back and even in the month and a half I’ve been there my fitness has gone up 100 per cent. That’s the biggest thing. And I’m enjoying my club football too.
“I would like to stay there, I’ve already said that. I’ve nothing against Galaxy, I’ve had two great years there and there are some great players and great people there. But I’m really enjoying my football at Milan,” he said.
- Fans boos welcome Beckham during LA Galaxy's first game - Mar 17, 2011
- Britain's Olympic coach Pearce to assess Beckham in US - Apr 25, 2012
- Beckham set to stay with LA Galaxy - Jan 03, 2012
- Beckham seals deal to return to AC Milan in December - Nov 03, 2009
- Beckham keeping playing options open - Apr 13, 2011
- Beckham to return to Galaxy next month - Jun 01, 2009
- Beckham confirmed for Jets match in Australia - Nov 22, 2010
- Beckham back at AC Milan in January - Nov 03, 2009
- Beckham rules out Premier League comeback - Aug 14, 2009
- A C Milan will make a 10.5 million pound bid for Beckham today - Feb 13, 2009
- Beckham asked to prove his place in Olympics team - Oct 20, 2011
- FA denies Redknapp, Beckham 'dream team' replacing Capello - Jan 07, 2011
- Beckham says he wont con Capello to gain another England cap - Sep 13, 2010
- Beckham's European loan move in jeopardy over TV deal - Dec 26, 2010
- 'I tried to get Beckham to Sunderland', says Steve Bruce - Dec 26, 2010
Tags: ac milan, captain david, club football, daily telegraph, david beckham, don garber, england squad, fitness, fitter, italian serie, la galaxy, london feb, mid fielder, month and a half, negotiations, signs, south africa, world cup