Milan keep pressure on Juventus with win over NovaraJanuary 23rd, 2012 - 9:06 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, Jan 23 (IANS) AC Milan kept up their chase of Juventus at the top of Italian Serie A football with a 3-0 win at Novara.
Zlatan Ibrahimovic scored a brace as AC Milan recovered from last week’s derby defeat against Inter.
For nearly an hour Milan suffered similar frustrations to last week, when they slipped to a 1-0 defeat, until Ibrahimovic stood out to break the deadlock in the 57th minute Sunday.
Robinho doubled the lead in the 73rd minute before Ibrahimovic grabbed his second in the last minute.
With the win, the defending champions still trailed Juventus by only one point. And the Rossoneri head coach Massimiliano Allegri believed the Serie A this season would probably turn out to be a two-horse race.
“We were forced to get the three points today in order to reach 40 points, which was the target we had set ourselves despite a tough start to the campaign,” Allegri was quoted as saying by Xinhua.
“Juventus are for the moment keeping up an impressive pace and are still unbeaten. We are the favorites for the Scudetto along with Juventus, even if one shouldn’t forget teams doing well like Udinese, Roma and Inter,” he said.
Udinese also proved their title credentials with a 2-1 win over Catania at the Stadio Friuli.
Pablo Armero put the hosts in front in the 20th minute and their top scorer Antonio Di Natale got his name on the scoresheet once again to make it 2-0 in the 53rd minute. Francesco Lodi grabbed a consolation for Catania in the fifth minute of stoppage time from the penalty spot.
Goran Pandev scored a late equaliser as Napoli rescued a point at Siena with a 1-1 draw.
Emanuele Calaio had put the hosts ahead in the 67th minute and Siena goalkeeper Gianluca Pegolo then kept out substitute Ezequiel Lavezzi’s penalty kick after he was brought down inside the area by Siena’s Gaetano D’Agostino.
Fabrizio Miccoli inspired Palermo to a first win in seven games, 5-3 over Genoa, to halt their slide down the table.
David Di Michele struck at the death as hosts Lecce came from two goals down to claim a deserved point, drawing 2-2 against Chievo.
The early game was the most disappointing as Bologna and Parma shared the spoils in a lifeless 0-0 Emilia-Romagna derby at the Stadio Dall’Ara.
- Udinese top Serie A as Milan held by Bologna - Dec 12, 2011
- Juve closing in on Serie A title - Apr 30, 2012
- Inter upset by Lecce as Milan win to chase Juventus - Jan 30, 2012
- Milan extend lead as Juve held in Serie A - Mar 12, 2012
- AC Milan back to top with win over Cesena - Feb 20, 2012
- AC Milan maintain Serie A lead with win over Atalanta - Jan 09, 2012
- Juve win Serie A title after Milan loses in derby - May 07, 2012
- Juventus beat Inter Milan in Serie A - Mar 26, 2012
- AC Milan held by Catania in Italian Serie A - Apr 01, 2012
- Milan lose to Lazio while Inter draw with Palermo - Feb 02, 2012
- Milan beat Roma to extend lead - Mar 25, 2012
- Juventus crush Udinese, Roma beat Inter - Sep 03, 2012
- AC Milan routs Chievo 4-0 as Inter teeters to last-minute win - Nov 28, 2011
- AC Milan win, Juventus held - Mar 04, 2012
- AC Milan still winless in Serie A - Sep 22, 2011
Tags: 53rd, ac milan, antonio di natale, armero, emanuele calaio, equaliser, fabrizio miccoli, italian serie, juventus, penalty kick, robinho, scoresheet, scudetto, seven games, stadio friuli, stoppage time, target, title credentials, udinese roma, zlatan ibrahimovic