Milan extend lead as Juve held in Serie AMarch 12th, 2012 - 4:00 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, March 12 (IANS) AC Milan moved four points clear at the top of the Italian Serie A table with a 2-0 win over Lecce at home, while second-placed Juventus were held to a 0-0 draw at Genoa.
Antonio Nocerino scored an early goal in the seventh minute to set Milan on their way, before Zlatan Ibrahimovic sealed the win midway through the second half Sunday with a superb strike.
Juventus’ title hopes suffered another blow as they were held to their fourth successive Serie A draw by Genoa.
Simone Pepe had a goal ruled out for a debatable offside decision, while Mirko Vucinic struck the woodwork twice as Juve sought to get back to winning ways.
The visitors could find no way through, however, and their 14th draw of the season saw them slip to four points behind AC Milan.
AC Milan head coach Massimiliano Allegri admitted that he was delighted at going four points clear at the top.
“It was important for us to win today, as that would ensure the two-point advantage remained intact, but instead we have four points. There’ s a long way to go,” he said.
Meanwhile, Lazio suffered a 1-3 loss to Bologna at home, while Novara upset Udinese 1-0.
Catania all but assured their Serie A status with a narrow 1-0 victory over Fiorentina at the Angelo Massimino stadium.
The result lifted Catania to eighth in the standings, just two points from the 40-point mark, a figure deemed sufficient to avoid relegation. Fiorentina, who were without the team’s top scorer Stevan Jovetic through injury, have dropped to 13th place.
- AC Milan maintain Serie A lead with win over Atalanta - Jan 09, 2012
- Inter upset by Lecce as Milan win to chase Juventus - Jan 30, 2012
- Juventus beat Inter Milan in Serie A - Mar 26, 2012
- AC Milan back to top with win over Cesena - Feb 20, 2012
- Milan keep pressure on Juventus with win over Novara - Jan 23, 2012
- AC Milan still winless in Serie A - Sep 22, 2011
- Juventus surpass Milan to top Serie A - Apr 08, 2012
- Inter beat AC Milan in Serie A derby - Jan 16, 2012
- Juve closing in on Serie A title - Apr 30, 2012
- Juve win Serie A title after Milan loses in derby - May 07, 2012
- Milan can retain Serie A title: Alegri - Apr 26, 2012
- AC Milan held by Catania in Italian Serie A - Apr 01, 2012
- Nothing is decided yet, says Milan coach - Apr 23, 2012
- Juventus crush Udinese, Roma beat Inter - Sep 03, 2012
- Juventus back on top of Serie A with win over Cesena - Dec 05, 2011
Tags: ac milan, antonio nocerino, catania, fiorentina, four points, genoa, head coach, italian serie a table, juventus, massimino, milan ac, offside, point advantage, rome march, serie a table, top scorer, vucinic, winning ways, woodwork, zlatan