Michelle wins national women chessAugust 26th, 2012 - 7:03 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 26 (IANS) Tenth seed Michelle Catherina of Tamil Nadu ensured a thrilling end to the Amity 39th National Women Challengers Chess Championship by defeating third seed Nimmy AG of Kerala in the eleventh and final round at Naurang House here Sunday.
This victory enabled Catherina to take her tally to nine points to secure the winner’s trophy.
Tamil Nadu girls P Priya and J Saranya defeated R Bharthi and Ramya Krishna respectively and were tied for the second spot with eight points but a better tie break score helped Priya to lift the runners-up trophy.
Top twenty players from this event qualified for the National Premier Chess Championship scheduled to start in Oct in Maharashtra.
Important Results: Round 11 : Michelle Catherina of Tamilnadu (9) beat Nimmy AG of Kerala (7.5); Priya P of Tamil Nadu (8) beat R Bharthi of Tamil Nadu (7.5); Cholleti Sahajasri of Andhra Pradesh (7.5) drew with Chandika Divyasree of Andhra Pradesh (7.5); Saranya J of Tamil Nadu (8) beat Ramya Krishna of Andhra Pradesh (7); Swati Mohota of West Bengal (7.5) drew with Mahalakshmi M of Tamil Nadu (7.5); Rucha Pujari of Maharashtra (7.5) beat Hinduja Reddy of Andhra Pradesh (6.5); Bagyashree Thipsay of Maharashtra (7.5) beat Mitali Madhukar Patil of Maharashtra (6.5); Pallabi Roy of West Bengal (7) drew with Amruta Mokal of Maharashtra (7); Harini S of Tamil Nadu (7.5) beat Savant Riya of Goa (6.5); Rajasurya J of Tamilnadu (7.5) beat Sandhya G of Andhra Pradesh (6.5); Raghavi N of Tamil Nadu (7) lost to Anjana Krishna of Kerala (6); Meenu Rajendran of Kerala (6) lost to A Akshaya of Tamil Nadu (7); Madhuri M Patil of Maharashtra (6) lost to Salini R of Andhra Pradesh (7); Lasya G of Andhra Pradesh (7) beat Anigani Kavya of Andhra Pradesh (6); Kotepalli Sai Nirupama of Andhra Pradesh (7) beat Madhurima Shekhar of Delhi (5.5).
- Nimmy maintains sole lead - Aug 23, 2012
- Nimmy takes sole lead national chess - Aug 22, 2012
- Akash keeps lead; Reddy shocks Chowdhury - May 25, 2012
- Four share lead in National Premier chess - Oct 30, 2011
- Parimarjan Negi is National Premier Chess Champion - Dec 22, 2010
- Mary Ann pockets title in National Chess - Nov 09, 2011
- Mary Ann takes lead in national chess - Nov 07, 2011
- Mary Ann retains lead with a draw in National chess - Nov 08, 2011
- Deysi, Olga share lead in World Junior Chess - Aug 13, 2011
- Padmini shocks Tania to take lead in women's national chess - Nov 03, 2011
- Padmini, Tania in lead at National Chess - Nov 05, 2011
- Tania moves into sole lead in women's national chess - Nov 02, 2011
- Aryan to face Bhaskar in sub-junior tennis final - Aug 17, 2012
- Tania wins in 38 moves in National Premier chess - Nov 01, 2011
- Shyamsundar, Phung win Asian junior chess - Jun 23, 2010
Tags: akshaya, amity, catherina, challengers, chess championship, kavya, kerala, madhukar, mokal, national women, nirupama, priya, pujari, rajendran, ramya krishna, riya, saranya, shekhar, tie break, west bengal