Michael Phelps could face criminal charges for marijuana useFebruary 4th, 2009 - 12:51 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Feb 4 (ANI): Olympic golden boy Michael Phelps is likely to face criminal charges after being photographed with a marijuana pipe.
The pics published in Britain’’s News of the World, showing the eight times Olympic gold medallist using a bong, were taken in November at a University of South Carolina house party.
The sheriff’’s department in the South Carolina town may file charges against the 23-year-old swimmer.
“The Richland County Sheriff’’s Department is making an effort to determine if Mr. Phelps broke the law,” the New York Daily News quoted Sheriff Leon Lott, as saying in the statement.
After the controversial pics surfaced, Phelps released a statement apologising for his inappropriate conduct.
However, it isn”t clear when - or if - any charges will actually be pressed against the ace swimmer.
The photos are not specific where the event actually took place, or if it even happened within the college campus.
“If he [broke the law] he will be charged in the same manner as anyone else. The sheriff has a responsibility to be fair, to enforce the law and to not turn a blind eye because someone is a celebrity,” said Richland County Sheriff’’s Department. (ANI)
- Eight arrested in Michael Phelps pot puffing scandal - Feb 11, 2009
- No charges against Michael Phelps after bong scandal - Feb 17, 2009
- Fans defend Phelps after marijuana scandal - Feb 07, 2009
- Robbery Attempt Foiled by Clerk With Samurai Sword - Jan 21, 2011
- Phelps, Lochte showdown in 200m medley - Aug 02, 2012
- China set to challenge US dominance in pool - Jul 11, 2012
- Michael Phelps suspended for 3 months for doping - Feb 06, 2009
- Embarrassed Phelps weighing whether to compete in 2012 Olympics - Feb 05, 2009
- Phelps suspended for three months after marijuana scandal - Feb 06, 2009
- Phelps confirms retirement after London Olympics - Aug 03, 2012
- Phelps "messed up" with pot, says Olympic teammate - Feb 20, 2009
- Michael Phelps hit with $23,289 tax bill - Nov 23, 2009
- Phelps endorsement career likely to suffer after cannabis scandal: Expert - Feb 03, 2009
- Olympic golden boy Michael Phelps caught smoking cannabis - Feb 01, 2009
- Michael Phelps' mom pens tell-all book - Apr 03, 2009
Tags: ace, apologising, blind eye, county sheriff, criminal charges, eight times, gold medallist, house party, inappropriate conduct, lott, marijuana pipe, michael phelps, mr phelps, new york daily news, news of the world, olympic gold, richland county, swimmer, university of south carolina, york daily news