Michael Phelps 3-month ban too lenient: Libby TrickettFebruary 7th, 2009 - 1:16 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Feb 7 (ANI): Aussie swimming champion Libby Trickett has said that Michael Phelps is lucky to escape with only a three-month ban from competition following marijuana scandal.
The 24-year-old swimmer who holds 5 world records said that the penalty is too lenient.
“Personally I think he’’s extremely lucky and if it had fallen under anti-doping laws, the penalty could have been double and that would have cost him a spot at the worlds,” Fox News quoted Trickett as saying.
“He’’s got to face up to the responsibilities that come with being a role model and this is simply unacceptable behaviour from someone with his stature and profile in sport.
“Hopefully he can learn from the mistake and it’’s a pretty big fall from grace after what he achieved in Beijing. It takes some of the shine off his spectacular performances in Beijing and this behaviour simply isn”t OK, she added.
USA Swimming has banned eight Olympic gold medallist Phelps for three months after he was snapped using a bong at a house party in University of South Carolina.
The organisation defended its decision and says a three-month ban is appropriate.
“This is not a situation where any anti-doping rule was violated, but we decided to send a strong message to Michael because he disappointed so many people, particularly the hundreds of thousands of USA Swimming member kids who look up to him as a role model and a hero,” a spokesman said.
“Michael has voluntarily accepted this reprimand and has committed to earn back our trust,” spokesman added. (ANI)
- Michael Phelps suspended for 3 months for doping - Feb 06, 2009
- American sprinter Rodgers banned for doping - Mar 02, 2012
- Olympics: Chinese anti-doping official warns athletes - Jul 24, 2012
- CAS clears Australian swimmer Ryan Napoleon to participate in Delhi CWG - Sep 15, 2010
- Sri Lankan sports minister sets up panel for Tharanga's dope case - May 30, 2011
- Phelps to swim 400m medley at US trials - Jun 25, 2012
- Michael Phelps' mom pens tell-all book - Apr 03, 2009
- BOA recommends changes to world anti-doping code - Apr 12, 2012
- Brazilian swimmer banned for two years - Jun 28, 2012
- Dope cheats must withdraw from Olympics: WADA - Jul 11, 2012
- Another Pakistani athlete banned after testing positive for steroids - Sep 21, 2010
- Can Olympic champion Phelps continue where he left off? - Jul 22, 2009
- Olympics swimming: Rochte claims gold, Phelps off podium (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Russia toughens anti-doping regulations - Jun 08, 2011
- Three athletes fail dope test - Oct 11, 2011
Tags: aussie, beijing, fall from grace, fox news, house party, hundreds of thousands, marijuana, message to michael, michael phelps, olympic gold medallist, reprimand, role model, scandal, spectacular performances, spokesman, stature, swimmer, unacceptable behaviour, university of south carolina, usa swimming