Michael Laudrup steps down as Mallorca coachSeptember 27th, 2011 - 10:30 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, Sep 27 (IANS) Michael Laudrup Tuesday announced that he was quitting as coach of Primera Liga football side Mallorca.
The former Danish international, who was in his second season at the club, leaves partly as a consequence of the decision taken by the Mallorca board of directors to sack his assistant Erik Larssen Monday.
Larssen had publicly criticised Mallorca’s majority shareholder, Lorenzo Serra Ferrer, saying that he was a “bad person”.
Laudrup has left in support of his colleague, although he had been unhappy at the way the club had sold striker Pierre Webo over the summer while refusing to bring in a replacement and the coach blamed behind the scenes difficulties for his decision to leave after just five matches of the new season.
“It cannot be the case that I have to go home every day feeling angry and frustrated,” Laudrup was quoted as saying by Xinhua.
“Once again we have all seen that it is very hard to find tranquillity here, if not impossible,” said Laudrup, who had been thought to have been in danger of being sacked had his side not beaten Real Sociedad Sunday.
Laudrup left just 48 hours after a win that left Mallorca in mid-table in the Primera Liga with six points from five matches.
“Winning a game has not changed anything: I think we need a solution because the team needs calm,” said Laudrup, who admitted that he had been thinking about leaving the club for a long time.
Last season saw Mallorca spend most of the campaign in mid-table, but a run of poor results at the end of the season saw them need favourable results for avoiding a relegation to the Spanish second division.
- Villarreal sack coach Garrido after Cup humiliation - Dec 22, 2011
- Michael Laudrup appointed Swansea manager - Jun 15, 2012
- Villarreal sacks coach Molina - Mar 19, 2012
- Former Atletico hero Diego Simeone is their new coach - Dec 24, 2011
- Real Madrid come from behind to win against Mallorca - Jan 15, 2012
- Barca look to put pressure on Madrid - Mar 23, 2012
- Real Madrid a win away from Liga title - May 02, 2012
- Villarreal name Lotina as new coach - Mar 20, 2012
- Atletico confirm coach Manzano's sacking - Dec 23, 2011
- Real Madrid look to comeback after El Classico defeat - Dec 12, 2011
- Real defend lead, Barca try to catch up in La Liga - Feb 02, 2012
- Real Madrid to face Sevilla in Spain's Primera Liga - Dec 15, 2011
- Mallorca end top of Primera Liga - Sep 02, 2012
- Racing Santander relegated from Spanish Liga - Apr 29, 2012
- Messi back from India to resume Spanish liga action - Sep 09, 2011
Tags: bad person, board of directors, coach, colleague, consequence, danish, larssen, long time, lorenzo serra ferrer, madrid, majority shareholder, michael laudrup, mid table, pierre webo, primera liga, relegation, second season, six points, tranquillity, xinhua