Michael Clarke pulls out of IPL - again

February 5th, 2009 - 5:54 pm ICT by IANS  

Melbourne, Feb 5 (IANS) Australian vice-captain Michael Clarke has pulled out of the cash-rich Indian Premier League (IPL), citing a busy international schedule.Clarke said his decision to skip the lucrative Twenty20 tournament was made because Australia has such a busy international schedule coming up.

The players auction for the second edition of IPL is scheduled Friday.

Clarke had withdrawn from the inaugural edition of the tournament last year on the same reason.

“I won’t be going to the IPL. The most important thing for me is we’ve only got a couple of weeks off, we’ve got a very busy schedule.

“With me, with my body and time with my family, I want time off this year,” Clarke was quoted as saying in Sydney Morning Herald Thursday.

But Clarke said his decision did not mean that he could not understand why so many other players did want to play in the Indian competition.

“It’s a wonderful thing for cricket, it’s definitely improved Twenty20 cricket, its played a part in improving one day cricket,” he said.

“The lead up to the Twenty20 World Championships is the IPL so it’s good preparation so it does not surprise me that a lot of players are going.”

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in Sports |

Subscribe