‘Miandad’s accusation against selectors shows his negative mindset’November 14th, 2007 - 8:14 am ICT by admin
“Why should the selectors be blamed for the defeats against South Africa?” he asked, adding, “Miandad’s constant tirade against the players, the selectors and the board officials shows a negative mindset.”
Miandad had claimed that inconsistent selection policies led to defeats in both the Test and one-day series against the visiting Proteas. But Salahuddin termed the allegations as baseless and far from the reality.
“The selectors invariably picked the best available lot of players. Why this hue and cry if Pakistan lost to the No 2 side in the world?” the Dawn quoted him, as saying. “Where was he (Miandad) when Pakistan finished runners-up in the World Twenty20 Championship in South Africa or when our team won the one-day series against Sri Lanka in Abu Dhabi soon after we took over as selectors?”
Defending the selection committee, which also includes Saleem Jaffer and Shafqat Rana as members, the chief selector said the players were selected in consensus with the Pakistan captain Shoaib Malik and the national team’s Australian coach Geoff Lawson.”We always consulted them before picking the teams. And, if some of the players failed to perform, then it was no fault of ours. How are we to blame if the team lost because of players’ reckless approach?” he said.
Asserting that Miandad’s barrage had put his integrity under spotlight, Salahuddin said the top officials of the cricket board have generally been unhappy with his behaviour on several occasions in the past.
“Thrice he (Miandad) was the national coach and each time his tenure ended in acrimony. That clearly suggests that his man-management is extremely poor,” he added.
“Miandad always indulged in nepotism. During his time, he used to muster support for his younger brothers and now he is doing the same for his nephew (Faisal Iqbal),” Salahuddin said. (ANI)
- Sri Lanka selectors must go, says Ranatunga (Lead) - Jan 16, 2012
- Ranatunga says SL selectors must resign over team's poor performance - Jan 16, 2012
- Batsmen need to show improvement: Waqar - Apr 13, 2011
- Afridi wanted Shoaib Malik, not Younis Khan - Oct 21, 2010
- Zulqarnain launches tirade against Akmal brothers following Pak's WC semi-final loss - Apr 01, 2011
- Miandad decides against going with Pak team to NZ to avoid "conflict" with Waqar - Dec 10, 2010
- 'Miffed' Miandad livid over being ignored for team selection - Jun 05, 2010
- Former players blast PCB for not naming Pak captain for World Cup - Jan 19, 2011
- I spoke in the interest of the team: Afridi - Oct 13, 2010
- Afridi is 'immature': Younis in report to PCB - Jun 07, 2011
- Yusuf may be ignored from Pakistan's World Cup probables - Nov 30, 2010
- PCB summons Mohsin after he threatens to quit (Lead) - May 04, 2011
- India should not tinker with the batting order: Wadekar - Mar 19, 2011
- Yousuf likely to be excluded from Pak's 30-man provisional World Cup squad - Nov 30, 2010
- Miandad refuses Afridi's request to join Pak team to New Zealand - Dec 13, 2010
Tags: acrimony, board officials, cricket board, finished runners, hue and cry, man management, mindset, national coach, nepotism, pakistan captain, private tv channel, proteas, salahuddin, saleem, selection policies, selectors, shoaib malik, south africa, thrice, twenty20