Miandad suggests way to reform trouble-stricken PCB to ZardariSeptember 16th, 2010 - 2:53 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, Sept 16 (ANI): Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) director general Javed Miandad has been pushing for radical reforms in the board, including enhanced powers for himself, and has conveyed his suggestions to Pakistan President Asif Zardari in this regard.
“After Javed was given a patient hearing by the President, the former captain conveyed some suggestions to improve the way the board is governing cricket affairs in the country,” the Daily Times quoted a source, as saying.
“Miandad has asked for enhanced powers and also to have a direct say in purely cricket issues like selection and team affairs, he disclosed, adding that Javed also “spoke to President Zardari about the continued sidelining of a talented and experienced player like Younus Khan.”
The source further revealed that Zardari then directed a senior bureaucrat to meet Butt and tell him clearly that certain recommendations and suggestions made by Miandad must be implemented. “This senior bureaucrat from the Presidency also met with Ijaz in Lahore a few days back and conveyed to him clearly what the President wanted done,” the source said, adding that Butt assured him that the suggestions made by Miandad would be implemented on an immediate basis.
But after Butt left for London, no suggestions were implemented, except one, which was a 15 percent salary hike of all board employees below the rank of general manager or manager in the board, which Butt immediately implemented and signed, informed the source.
He said Miandad was now waiting to see how Ijaz would handle the instructions, as he was confident that if this time Butt would not implement the directives coming from the Presidency, he would be sacked by Zardari.
Butt, who has been facing scathing criticism from all quarters for the way he has handled the spot-fixing scandal or allowed things to get out of hand in the team, has also been blamed for interfering in purely cricket and team matters, something which no chairman had done in the past. (ANI)
- Gilani to press for PCB chief Ijaz Butt's dismissal with Zardari - Nov 03, 2010
- 'Shape up or ship out' ultimatum issued to beleaguered PCB boss Butt - Oct 04, 2010
- Zardari appoints close friend as PCB chief,Butt shown the door - Oct 12, 2011
- PCB chief Butt to seek Zardari's guidance on management crisis - Oct 15, 2010
- PCB chief Butt skips crucial ICC meeting to rush back home on Zardari's call - Feb 11, 2010
- Dengue forces Twenty20 tournament out of Lahore to Karachi - Sep 21, 2011
- PCB chief Butt to seek extension for another term - Oct 16, 2010
- "No plan to change PCB boss as Butt doing 'pretty good job'": Zardari - Nov 09, 2010
- PCB must look beyond Miandad for Pak batting coach: Waqar - Apr 14, 2011
- Miandad turns down Pak team coaching offer - Apr 13, 2011
- Miandad hits back at PCB, says it is his duty to put Pak cricket on right track - Jul 10, 2010
- Pak parliamentary committee baying for PCB chief Ijaz Butt's blood - Aug 12, 2010
- PCB paid Miandad 8.4 million rupees for seven days of work: Butt - Feb 07, 2010
- Miandad claims PCB sidelining him despite Zardari giving him more authority - Oct 14, 2010
- Pakistan mooting China as neutral venue for cricket - Dec 03, 2010
Tags: asif zardari, bureaucrat, butt, director general, few days, javed miandad, london, pakistan cricket board, pakistan cricket board pcb, presidency, quarters, radical reforms, regard, salary hike, scandal, scathing criticism, team matters, younus