Miandad formally takes up ‘Pak team batting consultant’ roleDecember 9th, 2010 - 2:08 pm ICT by ANI
Lahore, Dec 9 (ANI): Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) Director General Javed Miandad has joined the national cricket team’s training camp, which started on December 8 at Gaddafi Stadium, Lahore, in preparation for the upcoming tour of New Zealand.
With his joining, Miandad has accepted the PCB’s offer to work as a batting and fielding consultant with the national team before the World Cup 2011, the Daily Times reports.
Miandad, who represented his country in more than 350 Test and one-day internationals, spent about three hours with the players, guiding them in the nets and helping them with the fielding drills on the first day of the camp.
“It is wonderful to be back with the boys in the field. It is an honour for me to help Pakistan cricket whenever I am needed, and I will make myself available whenever asked for,” the former coach told media persons.
“I am looking forward to working with the team over the next few days. They are all very energetic and enthusiastic. I am confident that before they depart for their important tour of New Zealand I would be able to help them fine tune their batting techniques,” he added.
The former great expressed his keenness to ‘pass on his experience’ to the Pakistan squad, keeping in view next year’s World Cup.
“Getting an opportunity to pass on my experience to these boys is a great thing and I am keen to contribute, especially with the World Cup coming up,” he said.
Miandad’s appearance in the camp came as a sigh of relief for the PCB, because he had earlier expressed his reservations over working under the supervision of head coach Waqar Younis.
“There should be further clarification regarding the matter once I’ve reached Lahore. There has been no definite decision as yet, and there are just a couple of things that need to be clarified,” he had said. (ANI)
- Miandad declines to be batting consultant for Pakistan team - Dec 01, 2010
- Miandad decides against going with Pak team to NZ to avoid "conflict" with Waqar - Dec 10, 2010
- Miandad opts out of NZ tour to avoid confusion - Dec 10, 2010
- Miandad refuses Afridi's request to join Pak team to New Zealand - Dec 13, 2010
- Miandad refused coaching offer due to personal reasons: Alam - Apr 13, 2011
- Waqar calls for quick decision on spot-fixing so that "Pak can focus on job ahead" - Dec 11, 2010
- Pak coach Waqar, Miandad concerned over team's Kiwi tour preparations - Dec 15, 2010
- PCB must look beyond Miandad for Pak batting coach: Waqar - Apr 14, 2011
- Pak bowling, fielding has shown dramatic improvement in last 12-14 months: Waqar - Apr 15, 2011
- Batsmen need to show improvement: Waqar - Apr 13, 2011
- Miandad to wait till end of West Indies series before considering Pak batting coach offer - Apr 06, 2011
- Waqar Younis resigns as Pakistan coach - Aug 20, 2011
- Foreign coach may be appointed in absence of Miandad: Afridi - Apr 11, 2011
- "No 'definite decision' on role as Pak team batting consultant": Miandad - Dec 06, 2010
- Miandad turns down Pakistan batting coach offer - Apr 10, 2011
Tags: clarification, consultant role, day internationals, december 8, definite decision, director general, fine tune, former coach, head coach, javed miandad, keenness, media persons, national cricket team, pak team, pakistan cricket board, pakistan cricket board pcb, sigh of relief, training camp, world cup 2011, younis