Mexican footballers in trouble for mock gunplayOctober 18th, 2011 - 11:27 am ICT by IANS
Mexico City, Oct 18 (IANS/EFE) Mexicans were aghast after a soccer player pretended to shoot one of his teammates in the head to celebrate a goal, a prank that fell flat in a country where nearly 50,000 have died in gangland violence in less than five years.
The incident took place in the 32nd minute of Saturday’s first division match between the Chivas del Guadalajara and Estudiantes Tecos.
After Marco Fabian scored for Chivas on a pass from Alberto Medina, the two men simulated an execution-style shooting.
The celebration spurred an avalanche of criticism in the media and on social networks, as even Chivas fans described the stunt as gratuitous and inappropriate.
The outcry prompted the club’s management to issue an apology.
“We regret the celebration carried out by our players Marco Fabian and Alberto Medina after the goal Fabian scored against the Estudiantes Tecos team,” Chivas said Monday in a statement.
Fabian and Medina “will be reprimanded by the institution, because they are an example for the children and young people of our country”, the club said.
Mexican soccer has first-hand experience of the violence that has rocked the country since the government militarised the struggle with organised crime in December 2006.
In early 2010, Paraguayan striker Salvador Cabanas, playing for Mexico’s America club, was shot in the head at a bar in the Mexican capital.
Cabanas barely survived and has yet to return to soccer, though he did take part in a special exhibition match in Mexico organized in his honour.
- Soccer star wounded in shooting vows to come back - Aug 10, 2011
- Suspect arrested in shooting of Paraguayan soccer star - Jan 20, 2011
- Chivas Win Inaugural Match In Chivas Estadio Against Manchester United - Jul 31, 2010
- Paraguay striker to play with bullet lodged in skull - Jun 08, 2012
- Mexico sets record for largest folk dance performance - Sep 05, 2011
- Seven family members commit suicide in Mexico - Jan 13, 2012
- Four slain at festival in Mexico - Jul 27, 2012
- Former Paraguay striker Cabanas returns to football - Apr 16, 2012
- Eight slain at birthday party in Mexico - Apr 28, 2011
- Mexico recovers stolen 18th century painting - Sep 11, 2011
- Mexican group mixes ancestral music with Beatles melodies - Apr 22, 2012
- Cyanide-laced food kills five in Mexico - Dec 27, 2011
- Eight gunned down in Brazilian city - Jul 13, 2012
- Journalist kidnapped in Mexico - May 19, 2012
- 26 bodies found inside three vehicles in Mexico - Nov 25, 2011
Tags: alberto medina, america club, chivas del guadalajara, efe, fabian, footballers in trouble, gangland, gangland violence, gunplay, hand experience, less than five years, mexican soccer, mexicans, mexico city, outcry, paraguayan, salvador cabanas, soccer player, social networks, tecos