Messi makes history with 50 goals in Spanish leagueMay 6th, 2012 - 5:28 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, May 6 (IANS) Argentine star Lionel Messi made history as he scored four goals in his side’s 4-0 win over local rivals Espanyol in the Spanish Primer Liga to take his total tally of league goals for the season to 50.
No player in the history of the Spanish league has ever reached the 50-goal mark, with the previous record held by Cristiano Ronaldo, who last season netted 43 goals, Xinhua reported.
Messi opened his account Saturday with a first half free-kick which curled away from Espanyol goalkeeper Christian Alvarez.
He then added another from the penalty spot in the 63rd minute, before outsprinting the Espanyol defence to net a third 10 minutes later with a powerful left foot shot.
Messi then reached the incredible 50 goal mark 11 minutes from time, once again from the penalty spot, following a foul on Sergio Busquets.
The striker almost scored his fifth goal of the night in the closing minutes of the game, but his shot drifted just wide of the post.
It was the perfect way to celebrate Pep Guardiola’s final game as Barca coach in the Camp Nou Stadium, after the man who had helped develop Messi into the best player in the world, announced eight days ago that he was leaving his position after four years at the club.
- Messi scores brace as Barca keep pace with Madrid - Apr 15, 2012
- We're worthy winners, says Guardiola - Apr 04, 2012
- Barcelona move closer to Real Madrid with 4-1 win - Apr 08, 2012
- Barca qualify for Champions League semifinals - Apr 04, 2012
- Barcelona take on Espanyol in city derby - Jan 07, 2012
- Messi strikes thrice in Barcelona's 8-0 rout of Osasuna - Sep 18, 2011
- No Messi as Barca take on Sporting Gijon - Mar 03, 2012
- Guardiola plays down Espanyol draw - Jan 10, 2012
- Messi becomes Barcelona's all-time leading scorer - Mar 21, 2012
- Puyol says Liga still not lost for Barcelona - Jan 11, 2012
- Barca look to put pressure on Madrid - Mar 23, 2012
- Valiant Chelsea knock Barca out, reach Champions League final - Apr 25, 2012
- Real Madrid on brink of La Liga title - Apr 30, 2012
- Barcelona take on Real Madrid in crucial 'El Classico' - Apr 20, 2012
- Barcelona look to bounce back against Osasuna - Sep 16, 2011
Tags: best player, camp nou stadium, christian alvarez, eight days, fifth goal, final game, free kick, goal mark, goalkeeper, league goals, left foot, lionel messi, madrid, pep guardiola, rivals, ronaldo, spanish league, striker, tally, xinhua