Messi is the best in the world, says MaradonaJanuary 17th, 2009 - 1:11 pm ICT by IANS
Buenos Aires, Jan 17 (DPA) Argentina coach Diego Maradona has named Barcelona striker Lionel Messi “the best (player) in the world,” even through Portugal’s Cristiano Ronaldo was crowned the 2008 World Footballer.”I voted for Cristiano Ronaldo, Adebayor and Ibrahimovic, because I could not vote for Messi,” said Maradona. “Logically, the best in the world, for me, is Messi.”
Maradona, a global football legend in his own right, told a news conference Friday in the Buenos Aires suburb of Ezeiza that the 21-year-old Messi still has plenty of time to be picked the best player in the world.
“I got the Ballon d’Or at 26. Messi has a lot more time. Let him remain calm, because he is going to get lots of golden balls,” he said.
For the second consecutive year, Lionel Messi was named the second-best player in the 2008 season. In 2007, he came second to Brazilian Kaka.
Maradona, just back from a European tour during which he met with Argentine players and their club coaches, confirmed that he reached an agreement with Barcelona in order to be able to field Messi in a Feb 11 friendly with France n Marseille.
He noted that “no one” in Barcelona asked him for anything in exchange for having Messi.
- Messi wins Fifa Ballon d'Or for third successive year - Jan 10, 2012
- Iniesta wins UEFA's award for best player - Aug 31, 2012
- Lionel Messi wins FIFA World Player of the Year award - Dec 22, 2009
- Argentina holds down Messi: Maradona still better - Mar 24, 2010
- Ronaldo determined to become the best player in history - Dec 30, 2009
- Man City's 96 mln pound deal to make Ibrahimovic world's highest-paid footballer - Aug 13, 2010
- I won't quit Barcelona for any English Premier League side: Messi - Apr 30, 2010
- Chelsea now eyeing to sign Real Madrid midfielder Kaka - Mar 06, 2011
- Romario boasts he's better than Messi, Maradona - Mar 18, 2012
- History collides for Argentina (Group B team profile) - May 27, 2010
- Maradona says his successor Messi's performance will be like 'cherry on the cake' - Jun 12, 2010
- Spanish media delighted with Messi's Golden Ball award - Dec 01, 2009
- UK Premier League second best: Messi - Dec 22, 2009
- Neymar can surpass Messi, Maradona: Pele - Aug 19, 2012
- Messi has grown too big for his boots, says former coach - May 30, 2010
Tags: adebayor, ballon, best player, buenos aires, club coaches, cristiano ronaldo, diego maradona, dpa, ezeiza, football legend, golden balls, kaka, lionel messi, news conference, plenty of time, ronaldo, second consecutive year, striker, suburb, world footballer