Messi fever grips DhakaSeptember 6th, 2011 - 8:53 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, Sep 6 (IANS) Messi fever seems to have gripped the Bangladesh capital where Argentina plays a FIFA friendly international against Nigeria.
Argentine soccer superstar Lionel Messi along with his team arrived here Monday. They are staying at the capital’s Ruposhi Bangla hotel that has been suitably decked up.
A small football goalpost greets visitors at the hotel foyer.
That’s not all.
There are large cut-outs of Lionel Messi and people wearing Messi T-shirts.
An employee manning a coffee vending machine wears Messi’s blue-striped number 10 T-shirt.
On Monday, hundreds of fans gathered outside the airport to welcome Messi and his team.
Argentina is a two-time World Cup champion and they play against Nigeria Tuesday at Bangabandhu National Stadium.
TV channels showed the palpable excitement at the stadium with the packed crowd cheering loudly.
Messi and his team had earlier played a friendly in Kolkata where they beat Venezuela 1-0.
The football match here takes place on a day when Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and her Indian counterpart Manmohan Singh were meeting to discuss bilateral issues.
People, however, were glued to their TV sets, preferring to watch the little master weave his magic on the football field.
- Argentina arrive in Dhaka for football friendly against Nigeria - Sep 05, 2011
- Brazil fans turning Argentines courtesy Messi-magic - Sep 02, 2011
- Dhaka plans football fixtures with Argentina, Nigeria - May 01, 2011
- Light practice session for Messi and Co. - Sep 03, 2011
- Delirious Kolkata welcomes cheerful Messi - Sep 01, 2011
- Messi says farewell to his Kolkata fans - Sep 04, 2011
- Get stadium ready or miss Messi magic, says minister - May 25, 2011
- A little Argentina in Kolkata - Aug 30, 2011
- Messi and Co to stay put in Kolkata till Monday morning - Sep 03, 2011
- AIFF confident of Messi match in Kolkata - Jul 09, 2011
- The commissars love their football, disavow ideology - Sep 02, 2011
- Ranbir to watch Messi in action in Kolkata - Aug 20, 2011
- Dino's date with Messi! (Movie Snippets) - Sep 01, 2011
- Qualifying first is not important: Messi - Sep 08, 2012
- AIFF official confident of Messi playing in Kolkata (Lead) - Jul 09, 2011
Tags: argentine soccer, bangabandhu national stadium, bangla, bangladesh capital, bilateral issues, coffee vending machine, cut outs, football field, football match, hotel foyer, indian counterpart, kolkata, lionel messi, manmohan, manmohan singh, minister sheikh hasina, t shirt, time world, tv channels, world cup champion