Messi back from India to resume Spanish liga actionSeptember 9th, 2011 - 3:04 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, Sep 9 (IANS) Spanish football returns to action this weekend following last week’s break for international matches.
FC Barcelona kick off the round of games with a trip to play Real Sociedad in San Sebastian. Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola will hope that players such as Lionel Messi and Javier Mascherano will have recovered after travelling to India with the Argentinean national side.
Guardiola will also hope to have Carles Puyol available after injury, while the game could see former Arsenal teammates Cesc Fabrigas and Carlos Vela up against each other for the first time.
Real Madrid play their first home game of the season against local rivals Getafe. Real Madrid have looked to be in fine form at the start of the campaign and will expect an easy win against a side that is missing several players in defence.
Barcelona won their first match of the season 5-0 against Villarreal a fortnight ago, while Madrid scored six in Zaragoza. Should they both cruise to victory this weekend, it will only raise more doubts about the unequal share of television money, which sees both clubs receive over 100 million euros more per season than any of their rivals.
Jose Maria del Nido and Fernando Roig, the presidents of Sevilla and Villarreal, have been two of the loudest critics of the current TV deals.
Villarreal need to bounce back following their defeat to Barcelona, while Sevilla aim to build on a 2-1 win over big spending Malaga and continue their positive start in the Primera Liga following a disappointing exit from Europe.
Valencia entertain Atletico Madrid Saturday night in what should be the league debut for Atletico’s star striker Radamal Falcao. Meanwhile Roberto Soldado looks to add to his opening day hat-trick for Valencia.
Sunday kicks off at mid-day in Seville, when Betis entertain Mallorca. Neither side is happy with the prospect of having to deal with temperatures which could rise above 35 degrees centigrade.
Racing Santander entertain Levante in a game between two sides expected to struggle this season, while Sporting Gijon travel to play Osasuna aiming to recover from their opening day defeat against Real Sociedad.
Rayo Vallecano and Zaragoza face each other in Vallecas in a game between two clubs in severe financial difficulties. Zaragoza travel following their 6-0 humbling at home to Real Madrid, while Rayo play in front of their fans on the back of a creditable 1-1 draw in Bilbao.
Athletic Bilbao meanwhile hope to end 13 years without a win away to Espanyol on the last game to be played in Sunday.
Marcelo Bielsa’s side appear to be struggling to adapt to their new coach’s preferred style of play while striker Fernando Llorente has not scored in his last eight matches.
Big spending Malaga aim to recover from their opening day setback to Sevilla when they face recently promoted Granada in an Andalusian derby Sep 12.
- Real Madrid a win away from Liga title - May 02, 2012
- Real Madrid on brink of La Liga title - Apr 30, 2012
- Real Madrid to face Sevilla in Spain's Primera Liga - Dec 15, 2011
- Real Madrid look to comeback after El Classico defeat - Dec 12, 2011
- Liga's penultimate round about survival and qualifying - May 04, 2012
- Barcelona look to close gap with Madrid - Mar 15, 2012
- Barcelona beat Sporting Gijon to top Spanish League - Oct 03, 2011
- Crucial weekend for Madrid, Barca in La Liga - Feb 10, 2012
- Real Madrid extend La Liga lead - Nov 21, 2011
- Copa return leg matches may see some surprises - Jan 10, 2012
- Villarreal back to winning ways in Primera Liga - Sep 21, 2011
- Barcelona win easy in La Liga, Real maintain 10-point lead - Feb 20, 2012
- Guardiola refuses to give up on La Liga title - Jan 29, 2012
- Real Madrid's lead shrinks to four points - Apr 09, 2012
- Not giving up Primera Liga title: Guardiiola - Jan 30, 2012
Tags: atletico madrid, carles puyol, current tv, fabrigas, falcao, football returns, javier mascherano, league debut, lionel messi, mid day, pep guardiola, primera liga, real madrid, real sociedad, roberto soldado, san sebastian, spanish football, star striker, travelling to india, villarreal