Menchov can vanquish Tour nightmare at Olympics: CoachJuly 22nd, 2012 - 6:51 pm ICT by IANS
Chartres (France), July 22 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russian cyclist Denis Menchov can still fight for a medal in the Olympics road race despite his poor showing in the Tour de France, Russia’s head coach said Sunday.
Menchov finished second on the Tour in 2010 and third in 2008 but lost a huge amount of time on one of the Alpine stages this year and is now more than 27 minutes adrift of leader Bradley Wiggins ahead of Sunday’s finale.
“This Tour de France result has no connection to the Olympics. It’s just a crisis, a deep crisis that hit him on one of the hardest stages of the tour,” Dmitry Konyshev said.
“After the Tour de France, he has six days and I think he’ll recover. Apart from that he has the incentive to prove he’s capable of fighting for the top positions.”
Despite Konyshev’s faith in the ability of Menchov to recover his form, the coach conceded that the 34-year-old Russian time trial champion could struggle in London.
“I think it’ll be hard for Denis, even if he’s in the very best condition,” Konyshev said.
Despite the anticipation of a strong showing for the Russian-based Katusha team, Menchov’s Tour hopes died on stage 11, when he lost 14 minutes to the leaders and conceded defeat.
“A very, very unpleasant surprise,” Konyshev said of Menchov’s performance.
“If you’d told me that Denis Menchov would be outside the top ten in the Tour de France, I’d have laughed in your face. I could have bet my house on it.”
With Menchov’s chances dented, Russia’s hopes of an Olympic medal may now rest on his teammates, Alexander Kolobnev and Vladimir Isaichev, neither of whom entered the Tour, Konyshev said.
- Wiggins wins time trial to become Britain's top Olympian - Aug 02, 2012
- Electric shock kills former junior archery champion - Jul 10, 2012
- Russia to send 436 athletes to London 2012 - Jul 10, 2012
- Sagan wins again as crashes hit Tour de France - Jul 05, 2012
- Sagan makes it three stage wins on Tour - Jul 07, 2012
- Kazakhstan's Vinokourov wins gold in Olympic road race - Jul 28, 2012
- Olympics: Gelana wins gold in women's marathon - Aug 05, 2012
- Basketball: Russia seals Olympics berth - Jul 08, 2012
- Russia's fencing coach resigns over meagre medal haul - Aug 05, 2012
- Collapsed walker is Olympic hero - Aug 05, 2012
- Gold for France's Decosse in women's 70 kg judo - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympics: Chicherova soars to high jump gold for Russia - Aug 12, 2012
- Japan pips Russia to women's archery bronze - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympic judo: France's Riner wins gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Sneijder's agent, Inter rubbish Anzhi rumours - Jul 13, 2012
Tags: alexander, alpine, amount of time, anticipation, champion, chartres france, denis menchov, finale, head coach, nightmare, olympic medal, olympics, ria novosti, six days, teammates, time trial, tour de france, unpleasant surprise, vladimir, vm