Memories of two Cricket World Cup wins come alive at special galleryJanuary 3rd, 2012 - 3:11 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Jan 3 (IANS) Keeping alive the memories of India’s two victories in World Cup cricket, the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) Tuesday inaugurated a World Cup Cricket Gallery at the Shahaji Rane Andheri Sports Complex here.
The gallery, set up jointly by BMC and Sahara Group, was inaugurated at a glittering function by batting great Sunil Gavaskar in the presence of Shiv Sena executive president Uddhav Thackeray, mayor Shraddha Jadhav, Municipal Corporation commissioner Subodh Kumar, Sahara India Pariwar’s Sushanto Roy and other dignitaries, including several former cricketers.
“The gallery primarily will preserve the memories of Indian cricket. It has photographs of special moments from the World Cup, special video clips and players’ memoirs on display,” mayor Jadhav said.
The gallery also showcases treasured memorabilia like bats, balls, pads, gloves, caps, helmets, stumps, clothes and other articles used by the cricketers who brought glory to the country in the two World Cup victories in 1983 and 2011.
The top attractions include the complete history of cricket’s biggest events from 1975 to 2011, in an audio-video format.
The gallery also has on display a life-like wax statue of cricket maestro Sachin Tendulkar and fibre statues of Gavaskar, Kapil Dev, Rahul Dravid, Saurav Ganguly, Anil Kumble and many more ex-players.
- Shiv Sena's Sunil Prabhu is new Mumbai mayor - Mar 09, 2012
- Cash seizure: Youth Congress for mayor's resignation - Aug 27, 2011
- Sourav Ganguly captain-cum-mentor of Pune Warriors - Mar 22, 2012
- One killed, two injured as wall collapses in Mumbai - Jun 08, 2010
- Pune Warriors sign Michael Clarke for IPL-V - Mar 28, 2012
- Aamir enjoyed memorabilia of legendary cricketers in Melbourne - Aug 12, 2010
- Yuva Sena to help amateur artists exhibit works - Dec 16, 2010
- Amitabh Bachchan 'counted' in Census - May 11, 2010
- Djokovic unveils wax figure of himself in Serbia - Feb 10, 2012
- Sahara India to sponsor Indian volleyball - Apr 16, 2012
- Rebels, relatives in fray for BMC elections - Jan 31, 2012
- Shiv Sena's Shraddha Jadhav elected new mayor of Mumbai - Dec 01, 2009
- Bowling still a concern for India, says Gavaskar - Mar 25, 2011
- Aerial seeding to enhance green cover in Mumbai! - Oct 15, 2010
- We should support Dhoni and team, says Kapil - Jan 20, 2012
Tags: Anil Kumble, brihanmumbai municipal corporation, cricket gallery, cricket world cup, dravid, executive president, fibre statues, history of cricket, indian cricket, jadhav, kapil dev, memories of india, sachin tendulkar, sahara group, sahara india pariwar, shraddha, subodh kumar, sunil gavaskar, world cup cricket, world cup victories