Melbourne Ashes Test best chance for England to retain Ashes urn: VaughanDecember 24th, 2010 - 4:05 pm ICT by ANI
London, Dec 24(ANI): The Andrew Strauss-led England team can secure the Ashes in the Boxing Day Test at the Melbourne Cricket Ground, according to former captain Michael Vaughan.
“England may find it has to win in Melbourne this week to secure the Ashes because the pitch at Sydney may well turn out to be faster and bouncier than is usually the case. But this is a great chance for England to get its nose in front and ensure it can retain the urn,” Vaughan wrote in an article for the Telegraph.
“Forget the nonsense about doctoring pitches. Melbourne is the venue that may well suit England’s style of play with the pitch likely to bring Graeme Swann into the game later on,” he added.
Vaughan also believes that the visitors must dismiss Australian middle-order batsman Mike Hussey early to get the momentum.
“England also has to work on a way of knocking over Mike Hussey. Forget this short stuff. He loves that and murders it. The best way to get Hussey out is by bowling as full as possible on or around off stump,” Vaughan wrote.
“It is basic and I would not try anything too clever. Have three slips and a gully to start with and open up extra cover to tempt him to drive through the gap. He waits for easy runs off the hip so give him nothing. With these guys there is not a huge margin for error so you have to bore him out,” he added.
Hussey has scored 517 runs at an average of 103 in the series so far, which includes his career best 195 in the opening Test at the Gabba.
The 35-year-old has also become the first batsman to record six successive Ashes fifties. (ANI)
- Getting 'dangerman' Hussey early key to England winning Boxing Day Test: Marks - Dec 24, 2010
- Getting Hussey early key to England winning New Year Ashes Test: Swann - Jan 01, 2011
- Swann was intimidated by in-form Hussey in Perth Test: Healy - Dec 25, 2010
- Hussey's knock, a lesson in application, courage: Roebuck - Dec 19, 2010
- Ashes: Siddle helps Australia bundle out England for 260 in Brisbane Test - Nov 25, 2010
- We got the best possible start, says England's Swann - Dec 03, 2010
- Heartbroken Hussey eyeing Ashes revenge against improved England - Oct 23, 2010
- Ashes series in Australia, World Cup to test England team's abilities: Collingwood - Oct 31, 2010
- Ponting reminds England not to 'forget packing the urn' in Ashes message on Big Ben! - Oct 28, 2010
- Tough days ahead for Strauss-led England: Vaughan - Dec 11, 2011
- The 2008 Perth win should inspire troubled India (Preview) - Jan 12, 2012
- England confident and raring to retain Ashes against Australia: Collingwood - Nov 21, 2010
- England to aim for Ashes series win in Sydney - Jan 01, 2011
- Bopara should stop idolising Tendulkar: Vaughan - Aug 12, 2011
- Ashes 2010: Fletcher says England must stick to their guns - Dec 24, 2010
Tags: andrew strauss, ashes test, ashes urn, boxing day, boxing day test, captain michael, dec 24, england team, fifties, first batsman, gabba, gap, gully, melbourne cricket ground, michael vaughan, murders, pitches, short stuff, slips, swann