Mehta retains national snooker crownFebruary 4th, 2012 - 9:25 pm ICT by IANS
Pune, Feb 4 (IANS) Showing that he has matured into a class player, Mumbai-based cueist Aditya Mehta won his second National snooker title in a space of six months beating IBSF World No.3 Kamal Chawla 6-2 in the final here Saturday.
Down 0-2, Mehta of Petroleum Sports Promotion Board (PSPB) took his chances once Chawla (Railways) let go possible pots and crawled his way back into the match to take the next six frames in a row to close out the affair in just under four hours.
Playing his maiden National final, Chawla began confidently as the two tried to test each other in the beginning. Chawla was tad bit clearer in his focus as he kept earning small but crucial breaks to take the first frame 60-2 and the second 65-48.
The decisive moment came in the third when Chawla missed a pink and Mehta responded with a break of 30 and eventually won the frame to get back into the match.
Thereafter, Mehta punished Chawla for every lapse and grew in confidence as the match progressed. After taking the fourth, it was Mehta all the way as he crafted a break of 80 in the eighth to close the match.
Final: Aditya Mehta (PSPB) bt Kamal Chawla (Rlys) 6- 2-(60, 48-65, 72-49, 69-38, 80-9, 71-27, 67 (58)-1, 80 (80)-0).
For 3-4 positions: Shahbaaz Adil Khan (PSPB) bt Brijesh Damani (Ben) 3-1 (33-61,76-21, 94 (71)-7, 67-28).
5-8 placing matches: Lucky Vatnani (AP) bt Manan Chandra (PSPB) 2-0; Himanshu Jain (AP) bt Siddharth Parikh (Rlys) 2-0. For 5-6: Jain bt Vatnani 2-0. For 7-8: Chandra bt Parikh 2-1.
- Mehta eases into semis of National Snooker Championship - Feb 03, 2012
- Advani leads way into pre-quarters of National Snooker - Feb 02, 2012
- Mehta sparkles with 134 break at National snooker - Jan 31, 2012
- National Snooker: Mehta, Chawla in title round - Feb 03, 2012
- Chopra joins centurions list in National Snooker - Feb 01, 2012
- Advani survives scare in National Snooker Championship - Jan 30, 2012
- Easy win for Alok Kumar in national snooker - Aug 05, 2011
- Yasin, Pankaj romp to last 16 of Senior National Snooker - Aug 07, 2011
- Chawla cracks 122 for easy win in snooker event - Jun 18, 2012
- Sethi, Advani, Alok advance in senior national billiards - Jul 28, 2011
- Ishpreet upsets Joshi in All-India Snooker - Aug 07, 2012
- Saengkham sizzles en route to last 16 - Jun 20, 2012
- Alok knocks out Advani in National snooker - Aug 08, 2011
- Advani posts second win at Asian Snooker Championship - Apr 25, 2011
- Meenal, Arantxa in National Billiards Final - Jan 25, 2012
Tags: adil khan, aditya, brijesh, confidence, damani, decisive moment, kamal, manan chandra, match, mehta, parikh, petroleum, pots, promotion board, pspb, railways, siddharth, six months, snooker, sports promotion