Mehta eases into semis of National Snooker ChampionshipFebruary 3rd, 2012 - 9:27 pm ICT by IANS
Pune, Feb 3 (IANS) Defending champion Aditya Mehta, along with Kamal Chawla, Brijesh Damani and Shahbaaz Khan entered the semi-finals of the 78th Manisha-National snooker championship, here Friday.
Mehta, who opened the defence of his title with a massive break of 134, needed no special efforts to subdue Siddharth Parikh 5-0 with breaks of 82 and 55 to set up a clash with former junior champion Shahbaaz Adil Khan who accounted for Andhra’s Himanshu Jain 5-3.
In the previous round, Khan had authored the tournament’s biggest upset when he beat former champion Pankaj Advani.
Chawla, who eliminated last year’s runner-up Alok Kumar in the previous round, overcame qualifier Lucky Vatnani of Andhra 5-3 with a break of 86 in the seventh frame.
Chawla now meets Brijesh Damani of Bengal who scored an upset win over 2006 champion Manan Chandra 5-2.
Quarter-finals: Aditya Mehta (PSPB) bt Siddharth Parikh (Rlys) 5-0; Shahbaaz Adil Khan (PSPB) bt Himanshu Jain (AP) 5-3; Brijesh Damani (Ben) bt Manan Chandra (PSPB) 5-2; Kamal Chawla (Rlys) bt Lucky Vatnani (AP) 5-3.
Pre-quarterfinals: Mehta bt Sarang Shroff (Mah) 4-0; Parikh bt Pulkit Thukral (Del) 4-1; Jain bt Shivam Arora (Bih) 4-3; Khan bt Pankaj Advani (PSPB) 4-2; Damani bt Vijay Nichani (TN) 4-1; Chandra bt Sourav Kothari (PSPB) 4-2; Vatnani bt IV Rajeev (AP) 4-1; Chawla bt Alok Kumar (PSPB) 4-3.
- Advani leads way into pre-quarters of National Snooker - Feb 02, 2012
- National Snooker: Mehta, Chawla in title round - Feb 03, 2012
- Mehta sparkles with 134 break at National snooker - Jan 31, 2012
- Mehta retains national snooker crown - Feb 04, 2012
- Chopra joins centurions list in National Snooker - Feb 01, 2012
- Yasin, Pankaj romp to last 16 of Senior National Snooker - Aug 07, 2011
- Easy win for Alok Kumar in national snooker - Aug 05, 2011
- India to host 2013 world professional snooker meet - May 04, 2012
- Advani survives scare in National Snooker Championship - Jan 30, 2012
- Alok knocks out Advani in National snooker - Aug 08, 2011
- Saengkham sizzles en route to last 16 - Jun 20, 2012
- Kohli shocks Jain in All India Snooker meet - Aug 06, 2012
- Ishpreet upsets Joshi in All-India Snooker - Aug 07, 2012
- Alok through to pre-quarters of All India Snooker - Jan 20, 2010
- National Snooker: All qualifiers make knock-out stage (Lead) - Aug 06, 2011
Tags: adil khan, arora, bih, brijesh, chandra, damani, defending champion, himanshu jain, junior champion, kamal, kothari, mehta, pankaj advani, pspb, quarter finals, rajeev, sarang, shivam, sourav, upset win