Meghalaya proposal for synthetic track awaits central okayJanuary 5th, 2012 - 8:42 pm ICT by IANS
Shillong, Jan 5 (IANS) Meghalaya has sent a proposal to the union government for laying a synthetic athletics track at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium Complex here at a cost of Rs.7 crore, Deputy Chief Minister Bindo M Lanong said Thursday.
“We hope to get the sanction as early as possible,” Lanong, who is also the minister in-charge of sports and youth affairs, said after inspecting the artificial football turf at the complex at the polo Ground.
“The synthetic track would help budding athletes of the state,” he said.
The new football turf is getting finishing touches and Shillong Lajong F.C. will play their first game on it Sunday against Goa’s Churchill Brothers in the I-League.
The turf, costing Rs.5.13 crore, covers an area of 9,000 square feet and the work on laying it began in July after the natural pitch was found to be unplayable.
The Meghalaya government laid the artificial turf after the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) gave them two months’ time for the upgradation of the stadium, especially the turf.
- Soccer enthusiast Meghalaya lawmaker contributes to stadium makeover - Jun 18, 2011
- Lajong ropes in MNC as stakeholder - Feb 29, 2012
- I-League clubs skip last meeting of ad-hoc committee - May 04, 2012
- Relegation-threatened Mumbai FC face Lajong - Apr 03, 2012
- Churchill ride Beto's brace to beat Shillong Lajong 2-0 - Jan 18, 2012
- Air India look to consolidate position - Feb 04, 2012
- Pune FC face test of belief against Lajong - Jan 27, 2012
- Lajong held at home by Pune FC in I-League - Jan 28, 2012
- I-League: Air India draw with Lajong - Jan 14, 2012
- I-League: Churchill, Dempo and Chirag win - Oct 22, 2011
- Federation Cup: Wahingdoh shock Mohun Bagan - Sep 18, 2011
- Shillong Lajong beat HAL in I-League - Feb 01, 2012
- Federation Cup: Holders Salgaocar in tough group - Aug 24, 2012
- I-League: Mumbai Indians beat Shillong Lajong 2-1 - Apr 04, 2012
- East Bengal, Lajong in Fed Cup semis - Sep 21, 2011
Tags: afc, artificial turf, asian football confederation, churchill brothers, deputy chief minister, finishing touches, first game, goa, jawaharlal nehru, jawaharlal nehru stadium, natural pitch, polo, proposal, sanction, shillong, square feet, synthetic track, union government, upgradation, youth affairs