Meet the first family of the Commonwealth GamesOctober 14th, 2010 - 6:35 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, Oct 14 (IANS) The Commonwealth Games now have a first family — in Australia. Alana Boyd won a gold medal in pole vault at the Delhi Games, emulating the medal-winning performance of her parents over two decades back.
Alana Boyd, 26, is the only child of two Games champions to win her own gold medal at the track and field competition at New Delhi’s Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, The Australian reported.
The pole vaulter repeated the feat of her mother Denise Robertson who won the 200m at the 1978 Edmonton Games, and her father Ray who won the pole vault at the 1982 Brisbane Games.
The proud parents watched Alana receive the gold medal.
Alana admitted that she had felt the pressure of public expectation as she was the child of famous parents, but not any more.
She said her parents had always been supportive.
“They are fantastic parents, they couldn’t have done more. They are great,” she was quoted as saying.
She denied that her gold medal-winning genes gave her an unfair advantage and added: “I am sure there are a lot of others out there who have good genes, and it’s not just genes, it’s hard work as well.”
- Isinbayeva targets last Olympic gold before retirement - Apr 18, 2012
- Highlights of Indian sport in 2010 - Dec 28, 2010
- Olympic pole vault: America's Jenn Suhr wins gold - Aug 07, 2012
- Saina to shoulder India's CWG badminton hopes - Sep 26, 2010
- Coe, Bubka to be inducted into IAAF Hall of Fame - Jun 25, 2012
- Hockey Olympic gold medallists to get cash awards - Jun 15, 2012
- Saina aims for greater feats after Olympic bronze (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympics: Suhr soars over Isinbayeva, China still on top (World Roundup) - Aug 07, 2012
- Isinbayeva '90 percent ready' for Olympics - Jun 30, 2012
- Latam nations aim for more medals at London Olympics - Jul 28, 2012
- Haryana announces Rs.1 crore for Gagan Narang - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Isenbayeva misses hat-trick; second gold for Sanchez after eight (Athletics Roundup) - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympic bronze tells me 'don't quit': Isinbaeva (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Chinese swimming team get hero's welcome - Aug 07, 2012
- Pole vaulter Isinbayeva wins French meet - Jul 11, 2012
Tags: alana, australia, brisbane, commonwealth games melbourne, decades, denise robertson, edmonton, father ray, field competition, genes, gold medal, jawaharlal nehru, jawaharlal nehru stadium, New Delhi, pole vault, proud parents, public expectation, track and field, two games, unfair advantage