Medeira officially appointed India coach, injured Paul droppedNovember 2nd, 2011 - 12:30 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 1 (IANS) The All India Football Federation (AIFF) Tuesday officially elevated assistant coach Savio Medeira as the chief coach while announcing a 27-member national squad for the forthcoming international friendlies against Malaysia.
The friendlies are slated for Nov 13 and 16 in Guwahati and Kolkata.
India’s No.1 goalkeeper Subrata Paul has been out of the squad since he is out for three months with a knee injury.
The Pune FC goalkeeper has been fined Rs. 3,36,000 by a Fifa disciplinary committee for his violent conduct during June’s World Cup qualifier against the UAE in Abu Dhabi.
“Savio has been entrusted with this opportunity considering he has already spend three-and-a-half year with the national team and has a lot of experience in handling the national team,” said AIFF secretary-general Kushal Das.
Medeira, a former Salgaocar coach, said that he is looking forward to the Malaysian challenge since not much time is left for the two matches.
“There is not enough time for the team to prepare. It is a tough challenge, which I have taken and would hope that the players would give their best and rise on the occasion,” the Goan said.
Goalkeepers: Gurpreeth Singh Sandhu, Karanjit Singh, Subhashish Roy Chaudhari
Defenders : Raju Eknath Gaikwad, Jaspal, Sameer Naik, Mahesh Gawli, Debabrata Roy, Anwar Ali, Syed Rahim Nabi, Gouramangi Singh
Midfielders : Mehtab Hossain, Baldeep Singh, Rocus Lamhare, Mehrajuddin Wadoo, Francis Fernandes, Climax Lawrence, Anthony Periera, Clifford Reyes Miranda, Jewel Shaik Raja, Steven Benedict Dias, Lalrindika Ralte
Forwards : Baljit Singh Sahni, Je Je, Sushil Singh, Joaquim Abranches, Sunil Chettri
- Chettri, Jeje to miss friendly against Zambia - Nov 28, 2011
- Four new faces in India squad for Bayern Munich game - Dec 28, 2011
- Arnab, Clifford ruled out from AFC Challenge Cup - Mar 02, 2012
- Sunil Chettri to lead India in AFC Challenge Cup - Mar 05, 2012
- Climax was rested, not dropped: Savio - Feb 01, 2012
- Koevermans names 37 probables for Nehru Cup - Jul 06, 2012
- SAFF Cup football: India slam five against hapless Bhutan - Dec 05, 2011
- Chettri brace gives India 3-2 win over Malaysia - Nov 17, 2011
- Armando drops Bhaichung along with 11 seniors from World Cup probables - Jun 02, 2011
- SAFF Cup: India sans Sameer Naik in must-win match against Bhutan - Dec 04, 2011
- Koevermans includes Chettri in Nehru Cup probables - Aug 07, 2012
- Bhaichung to lead national football team in Asian Cup - Dec 27, 2010
- AFC Challenge Cup squad announced - Feb 12, 2010
- India face Kuwait in Asian Games opener - Oct 28, 2010
- Hapless India go down 0-5 to Zambia - Nov 29, 2011
Tags: anwar ali, chaudhari, chief coach, debabrata, disciplinary committee, football federation, goan, hossain, international friendlies, kolkata india, kushal das, mehtab, periera, rocus, sahni, singh sandhu, subrata paul, violent conduct, wadoo, world cup qualifier