McLaren must bounce back in Germany: ProstJuly 16th, 2012 - 2:29 pm ICT by IANS
Volokolamsk (Russia), July 16 (IANS/RIA Novosti) McLaren must recover from a string of poor results at the German Grand Prix next weekend or will be left behind by Red Bull and Ferrari, four-time champion Alain Prost has said.
McLaren stormed to the top of the constructors’ standings after strong results in the first three races of the year, but have scored only one podium finish in the six races since then.
“If they don’t come back immediately, from Hockenheim, the next race, I think it’s going to be difficult,” Prost said.
“In front, Red Bull and Ferrari are very motivated and it’s going to be tough.”
One of the reasons for McLaren’s decline is that they have failed to cope with the new tire compounds introduced this season, he said.
“It looks like they do not understand what is happening with the new tires, which is not good news.”
Ferrari’s Fernando Alonso leads the drivers’ championship by 13 points from Red Bull’s Mark Webber, who won the last round in Britain, while Webber’s teammate Sebastian Vettel is third with Lewis Hamilton fourth for McLaren.
In the constructors’ standings, Red Bull have a commanding 64-point lead over Ferrari, who enjoy a narrow advantage over third-placed Lotus and fourth-placed McLaren.
- German GP: Alonso zooms to second straight pole - Jul 21, 2012
- Button fastest in rain-hit German Grand Prix first practice - Jul 20, 2012
- German GP: Alonso cruises to season's third win - Jul 22, 2012
- Force India's Hulkenberg finishes 9th at German GP - Jul 22, 2012
- Hamilton charges to pole in Hungarian GP - Jul 28, 2012
- Red Bull's Vettel wins Malaysian Grand Prix - Apr 10, 2011
- Button wins in chaotic Belgian GP - Sep 02, 2012
- Webber natches British Grand Prix win from Alonso - Jul 08, 2012
- Hamilton wins Chinese Grand Prix to end Vettel's winning streak - Apr 17, 2011
- Canadian GP: Hamilton 7th different winner in 2012 - Jun 11, 2012
- Webber secures elusive win in Brazil, Force India end season on a high - Nov 28, 2011
- Hamilton glides to Monza victory - Sep 09, 2012
- Force India's Hulkenberg finishes fourth in Belgium - Sep 02, 2012
- Hamilton sees F1 fight with Alonso as new Senna-Prost battle - Mar 29, 2011
- New venues invariably slotted at end - Oct 25, 2011
Tags: alain prost, compounds, decline, drivers championship, fernando alonso, ferrari, german grand prix, left behind, lewis hamilton, lotus, mark webber, narrow advantage, podium, red bull, ria novosti, sebastian vettel, teammate, time champion, tires, vm