McKay out of World Cup reckoningJanuary 13th, 2011 - 8:57 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, Jan 13 (IANS) A stress fracture in the left foot has put Australia paceman Clint Mckay out of the cricket World Cup contention.The medical staff has advised Mckay to undergo surgery next week which will rule him out for at least 10 weeks.
Mckay, 27, is third in Australia’s One-day wicket tally over the past year, having taken 27 wickets at an average of 19.59. The top wicket-taker, Ryan Harris, will also miss the World Cup with a foot injury that emerged during the Boxing Day Test.
Victorian team physiotherapist Thihan Chandramohan said surgery was the “conservative option” but believed it was the right one for Mckay.
“Obviously his workload over the past two years has been a lot higher - he’s played for Australia, he’s played some cricket in England as well - but he’s been good considering the workload he’s had,” Chandramohan was quoted as saying in Sydney Morning Herald.
“It’s the first major injury that’s put him out for a long period and it’s one that’s hard to prevent because it’s just related to the bone not handling the load that’s going into it.”
Chandramohan said the likely recovery period would become much clearer once Mckay was operated on next week.
“It really depends on what the surgeon does. Our current plan is based on the scan results, but sometimes it can vary depending on what the surgeon actually does when he’s trying to fix it. The recovery time is usually between 10 to 15 weeks but it can be quite variable,” he said.
The final squad of 15 for all teams will be confirmed by next week.
- Mckay joins list of injured Australian bowlers to miss 2011 World Cup - Jan 13, 2011
- Marsh to replace injured Hussey in next three ODIs - Jan 18, 2011
- Pacer Mitchell Johnson may be ruled out for summer - Nov 30, 2011
- Pattinson ruled out of India series, Star named replacement - Jan 06, 2012
- Hauritz to undergo surgery, can still be fit for World Cup - Jan 23, 2011
- Hauritz to undergo surgery on dislocated shoulder - Jan 23, 2011
- Arthur says Harris ready for Perth - Jan 07, 2012
- Dan Christian gets Australia call-up for second Test - Dec 05, 2011
- Hussey ready for recall to Australia's World Cup squad - Mar 02, 2011
- Arthur asks Oz selectors to recall Hussey for World Cup - Mar 02, 2011
- Boots potential cause for foot injuries in pacers: CA - Jan 17, 2012
- Seven Australian cricketers including Ponting on road to recovery - May 26, 2011
- Hussey likely to miss World Cup - Jan 19, 2011
- Malinga retires from Tests to prolong international career - Apr 22, 2011
- Physio expects Ponting to be fit for World Cup - Jan 29, 2011
Tags: boxing day, boxing day test, chandramohan, cricket world cup, foot injury, left foot, medical staff, morning herald, paceman, recovery period, recovery time, ryan harris, scan results, stress fracture, sydney morning herald, team physiotherapist, victorian team, wicket taker, wickets, workload