McEnroe’s ‘women weaker than men’ claim leaves fairer sex fumingAugust 28th, 2010 - 4:24 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Aug 28(ANI): American tennis legend John McEnroe has urged the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) to trim down its schedule saying that women tennis players are not mentally and physically strong enough to handle it.
McEnroe, who’s known for making controversial statements, made the comments ahead of the U.S. Open, which starts from Monday in Flushing.
“They should be required to be in less events, there should be less events for the women,” The New York Daily News quoted McEnroe, as saying.
“It seems it takes an actual meltdown on the court or women quitting the game altogether before they realize there’s a need to change the schedule,” he added.
However, former French Open Mixed Doubles champion, Mary Carillo said that she does not see the validity of McEnroe’s opinion.
“I hate the idea that we have to judge women on a curve and say, ‘It’s too much for them. I’ve seen too many great women champions for too long,” Carillo said.
WTA Tour Commissioner Stacy Allaster also criticized the call saying that McEnroe should study up more on the issue.
“John is more than entitled to his opinion, and he is a well-respected leader in our sport, but I hope when someone makes comments he’s also looking at the data,” Allaster said.
“Venus (Williams) is 30 and she is very careful with her body because she wants to continue to play,” she added. (ANI)
- Women tennis fans slam McEnroe for 'patronizing' comments about female athletes - Aug 30, 2010
- US Open 2010: McEnroe happy to see Murray on the offensive - Sep 01, 2010
- Aggassi inducted into US Open Court of Champions - Sep 10, 2012
- Sampras, Agassi to meet again in Paribas Showdown - Feb 20, 2011
- Kingfisher was official beer at New York tennis tourney - Jul 27, 2012
- Stella McCartney to make tennis dress - Jun 16, 2011
- Serena Williams Fined After Her Alleged Outburst At The US Open 2009 - Sep 14, 2009
- McEnroe blames Murray's over tennising and training for humiliating US Open loss - Sep 10, 2009
- 'Scud' Philippoussis wants another shot at playing top flight tennis - Oct 25, 2010
- 70-year-old tennis referee kills 80-year-old hubby - Aug 22, 2012
- Djokovic Wins The Crowd During His Late Night Duel With "Johny Mac" - Sep 09, 2009
- New lenses give Henin clear view of final (Australian Open Notebook) - Jan 30, 2010
- Serena Williams admits couldn't beat any man in top 100 - Jul 05, 2010
- Furious McEnroe lets fly scorcher on 'cockamamie' match-fixing rules in tennis - Jan 11, 2010
- Zvonareva's 'scream' mantra to slay Serena at Wimbledon - Jul 03, 2010
Tags: american tennis, champion, controversial statements, curve, fairer sex, french open, french open mixed doubles, great women, john mcenroe, legend john, mary carillo, meltdown, new york daily news, stacy, tennis association, tennis legend, validity, venus williams, women tennis players, york daily news