McEnroe backing Murray against Federer to win WimbledonJune 17th, 2009 - 5:09 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 17 (ANI): Tennis legend John McEnroe is backing Andy Murray to win the Wimbledon saying that the 22 year old has already won his first points against experienced Roger Federer.
McEnroe said commended Murray’s game play and said that he is a thinking player.
“This guy, Murray, is amazing. Tennis is a thinking man’s game and right now Andy has got into Roger’s head,” The Sun quoted McEnroe, as saying.
McEnroe, who himself had won the Wimbledon championship three times , said it was the apt time for the World No.3 to register his name to history by defeating Federer or Nadal to lift the title.
“I think the time is right for Andy to win Wimbledon. I was 22 when I won Wimbledon. It is not as if it happened easily for me. It took a while,” he said.
McEnroe, however, admitted that it was not an easy task for Murray to get past the likes of Federer and Nadal on the grass court.
“It will be that much more satisfying when he does win it. Look at the guys ahead of him in Federer and Rafael Nadal. You are talking about, without a doubt, two of the greatest players who ever lived,” he said.
“Andy has got to be ready to throw the kitchen sink at these guys,” McEnroe added.
Recalling the last year’s final match in which Nadal defeated Federer, who until then had looked invincible on grass, McEnroe said there is a little chink in Federer’s armour which Murray could utilize to his gain. (ANI)
- US Open 2010: McEnroe happy to see Murray on the offensive - Sep 01, 2010
- Leading Grand Slam winners - Jul 09, 2012
- McEnroe tips Andy Murray to win Australian Open - Jan 16, 2010
- Djokovic beats Nadal to win maiden Wimbledon title (Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- Nadal completes career Grand Slam with US Open victory (Lead) - Sep 14, 2010
- Nadal's 2008 Wimbledon win voted sporting moment of decade - Dec 31, 2009
- McEnroe blames Murray's over tennising and training for humiliating US Open loss - Sep 10, 2009
- 'King of Clay' Nadal nearing legend status: McEnroe - Jul 03, 2010
- US Open: Djokovic to face Ferrer in semis - Sep 07, 2012
- Borg says Murray will win US Open - Aug 25, 2010
- Olympic tennis: Federer plays Murray in repeat of Wimbledon final (Lead) - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympics: Djokovic says Federer is favourite for gold - Jul 27, 2012
- Nadal's 2008 Wimbledon victory voted sporting moment of the decade - Jan 01, 2010
- Murray fan hopes his 'anthem' will inspire Scot to Wimbledon glory - Jun 21, 2010
- Nadal faces huge battle to complete career Grand Slam at US Open - Jul 06, 2010
Tags: andy murray, apt time, armour, chink, doubt, federer and nadal, final match, game play, grass court, john mcenroe, kitchen sink, legend john, rafael nadal, roger federer, tennis legend, thinking man, three times, wimbledon, wimbledon championship, wimbledon london