McEnroe advises Australian tennis champ Hewitt to consider retirementNovember 11th, 2010 - 4:59 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, Nov.11 (ANI): John McEnroe has advised Lleyton Hewitt to consider retirement.
In Sydney for the Champions Downunder tournament starting at Homebush Bay today, the seven-time grand slam champion said 56th-ranked Hewitt, was not only well beyond his days of winning grand slams, but might soon want to contemplate retirement.
Hewitt, 29, is the only Australian in the world top 100, with the next highest players Marinko Matosevic at 138 and Peter Luczak at 143, the Sydney Morning Herald reports.
The fiercely competitive McEnroe retired in 1992 after a season in which he realised, at the age of 32, he was no longer a real contender in grand slams. (ANI)
- US Open 2010: McEnroe happy to see Murray on the offensive - Sep 01, 2010
- Aggassi inducted into US Open Court of Champions - Sep 10, 2012
- Women tennis fans slam McEnroe for 'patronizing' comments about female athletes - Aug 30, 2010
- McEnroe's ghostly image appears in cloud formation in Bristol - Oct 02, 2010
- Leading Grand Slam winners - Jul 09, 2012
- No Stosur, Hewitt in Australia's CWG tennis squad - Aug 18, 2010
- Sport superstars take aim at flood - Jan 13, 2011
- Somdev, Yuki advance in Charlottesville Challenger - Nov 03, 2010
- Formula One legend Murray Walker voted best commentator of all time - Dec 02, 2009
- Federer beats Hewitt to level Davis Cup play-off at 1-1 - Sep 16, 2011
- 'Scud' Philippoussis wants another shot at playing top flight tennis - Oct 25, 2010
- Andreev test first up for Federer - Jan 15, 2010
- US Open results - Sep 03, 2012
- McEnroe blames Murray's over tennising and training for humiliating US Open loss - Sep 10, 2009
- Hewitt backtracks on Tomic's Davis Cup selection - Jan 22, 2010