McCullum, Taylor take New Zealand to 358/6 (Lead)March 13th, 2011 - 5:04 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, March 13 (IANS) Brendon McCullum struck his third ODI century and stand-in captain Ross Taylor scored a 44-ball 74 as New Zealand reached 358 for six in 50 overs against Canada in a World Cup Group A match here Sunday.
McCullum hit a 107-ball 101 as the Kiwi batsmen smashed the Canadian bowlers on a slow pitch at the redeveloped Wankhede Stadium. A win for New Zealand would assure them of a quarterfinal berth.
Put in, Martin Guptill (17) and McCullum added 53 for the first wicket before a smart catch by by Canadian captain and wicketkeeper Ashish Bagai removed Guptill off Harvir Baidwan.
Jesse Ryder reached 38 before chipping veteran off-spinner John Davison to Henry Osinde at long-on.
McCullum played a composed knock, hitting 12 boundaries and two sixes. Four balls into the batting Powerplay in the 37th over, McCullum departed but Taylor, fresh from his unbeaten 131 against Pakistan, launched a brutal attack as 74 runs came from the five overs.
- New Zealand inflict 97-run defeat on Canada (Roundup) - Mar 13, 2011
- Scoreboard of New Zealand innings against Canada - Mar 13, 2011
- World Cup scoreboard: New Zealand vs Canada, Group A - Mar 13, 2011
- New Zealand score 358/6 against Canada - Mar 13, 2011
- Black Caps set bench mark for batting powerplay - Mar 14, 2011
- Watson, Haddin in record first-wicket stand for Australia at World Cup - Mar 17, 2011
- Sangakkara, Muralitharan star in massive Sri Lankan victory (Roundup) - Mar 19, 2011
- Sri Lanka elect to bat against New Zealand - Mar 18, 2011
- Sangakkara, Muralitharan combine to crush New Zealand (Intro Roundup) - Mar 19, 2011
- New Zealand set India 168-run target in T20 - Sep 11, 2012
- World Cup teams: Strengths and key players - Feb 18, 2011
- World T20: Bangladesh choose to bowl against Kiwis - Sep 21, 2012
- Pak restricts Kiwis to 133 for 7 in Barbados 20-20 clash - May 08, 2010
- World Cup: Kenya elect to bat against Kenya - Mar 07, 2011
- World Cup: Kenya elect to bat against Canada (Lead, superseding previous story) - Mar 07, 2011
Tags: ashish, berth, boundaries, bowlers, brendon mccullum, brutal attack, captain ross, guptill, john davison, kiwi, powerplay, ross taylor, ryder, slow pitch, spinner, third odi, wankhede stadium, wicket, wicketkeeper, world cup