McCain strategist warns Republicans against becoming a ‘religious party’April 18th, 2009 - 5:10 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Apr.18 (ANI): A former top adviser to former Republican presidential candidate John McCain, Steve Schmidt, has warned the Grand Old Party (GOP) against becoming a `religious party’.
Schmidt told a Washington, D.C., convention for the Log Cabin Republicans — a grassroots group for gay and lesbian Republicans, that the GOP must shift their views on gay marriage.He also urged Republicans, in the near-term, to endorse civil unions and stop using the Bible as rationale for gay-marriage opposition.
“If you put public policy issues to a religious test, you risk becoming a religious party,” Fox News quoted Schmidt, as saying.
Schmidt, whose sister is a lesbian and who supports same-sex marriage, said he understands the Republican Party probably won’t reverse its resistance to same-sex marriage anytime soon.
But he suggested that the party would be increasingly marginalized if it sustains that opposition long-term.
Schmidt predicted gay marriage would create a bigger and bigger divide between the GOP and the electorate in the years ahead. (ANI)
- Obama endorses gay marriage - May 10, 2012
- Obama supports gay marriage - May 10, 2012
- Obama supports same-sex marriage (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Argentina legalises same-sex marriage - Jul 16, 2010
- 'Gay marriage law may affect British royal family' - Mar 18, 2012
- Unite to oppose gay marriage: Pope's envoy asks Muslims, Jews - Apr 28, 2012
- Colin Powell endorses same-sex marriage - May 24, 2012
- British gays not interested in marriage law - Jun 08, 2012
- New York same-sex marriage law gives Aussie advocates hope - Jun 25, 2011
- Schwarzenegger backs gay marriage - Aug 07, 2010
- Vietnam hosts first gay parade - Aug 05, 2012
- Romney rejects same-sex marriage - May 13, 2012
- British schools to teach kids about gay marriage - Feb 27, 2012
- UK royals urged to back gay marriages - Apr 25, 2011
- California Federal Judge Vaughn Walker Overturns Proposition 8 - Aug 05, 2010
Tags: civil unions, electorate, fox news, gay and lesbian republicans, gay marriage opposition, gop, grassroots group, john mccain, log cabin republicans, public policy issues, rationale, religious party, religious test, republican party, republican presidential candidate, republican presidential candidate john mccain, same sex marriage, steve schmidt, strategist, views on gay marriage