Mayookha’s coach yet to get clearance for London GamesJuly 21st, 2012 - 2:38 pm ICT by IANS
Kozhikode, July 21 (IANS) The coach of Mayookha Johny, India’s star athlete who is competing at the London Olympics in triple jump, is yet to get clearance to accompany her to the games.
M.D. Johny, former body builder and father of Mayookha, said while other coaches got the clearance from the Athletics Federation of India (AFI) to travel along with their athletes, her daughter’s coach Shyam Kumar was still waiting for the AFI approval.
Mayookha has been training in Frankfurt, Germany, for the last six months under the supervision of a foreign coach and Kumar,” Johny told IANS.
The athlete is leaving Germany for London Aug 1. If Kumar fails to get his papers in time then he will have to fly back to India.
Kumar, an employee of the Food Corporation of India, has been coaching Mayookha for the last two years.
“I am seeking Chief Minister Oommen Chandy’s help to get the clearance for Kumar. Coaches play an important role in preparing athletes for the big day,” Johny said.
Mayookha holds the national record of 14.11m in triple jump and is also the first Indian woman to cross the 14m mark.
Johny is waiting for his visa to travel to London to be with Mayookha - the eldest of the former body builder’s three children.
“She liked to compete in long jump as well as triple jump. But three years ago, she was told to concentrate on triple jump,” Johny added.
“She sounds very optimistic and confident,” he said.
- World Athletics: Mayookha qualifies for long jump finals - Aug 27, 2011
- Mayookha, Om Prakash win bronze in Asian Athletics - Jul 09, 2011
- Mayookha, Om Prakash win bronze in Asian Athletics (Lead) - Jul 09, 2011
- Olympics: Schedule of events involving Indian athletes Friday - Aug 03, 2012
- India pinning hopes on Mayookha and Ram for Asian Grand Prix - May 19, 2011
- Triple jumper Mayookha out of Olympics - Aug 03, 2012
- Mayookha Johny breaks Anju Bobby George's record in triple jump - Aug 06, 2010
- Olympics: Triple jumpers fail, hockey team's pathetic show continues (India roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- Olympics: Indian triple jumper Renjith crashes out - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympics: Krishna Poonia qualifies; Mayookha, Om Prakash out (Lead) - Aug 04, 2012
- Athletics federation announces 92-member squad for CWG - Aug 31, 2010
- 76 Indians qualify for Olympics, more likely - Jun 12, 2012
- Kerala offers international training for athletes - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympics: Hopes pinned on boxers Mary Kom, Devendro (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- I will be happy if athletes improve their records: Bahadur singh - Jul 31, 2012
Tags: 11m, afi, body builder, chief minister, coach, fly, food corporation of india, frankfurt germany, indian woman, kozhikode, london games, london olympics, long jump, olympics, shyam kumar, six months, star athlete, supervision, triple jump, visa