Matthaeus rejects Racing Club coaching job, says reportOctober 28th, 2009 - 6:18 pm ICT by IANS
Hamburg, Oct 28 (DPA) Former Germany captain Lothar Matthaeus has turned down an offer to coach Argentina’s Racing Club, it was reported Wednesday.
Germany’s Bild newspaper said Matthaeus, 48, informed the club of his decision in an SMS short text message.
The report quoted Juan Cobian, an adviser involved in contract negotiations, as saying Racing had fulfilled all of the former player’s demands.
“Then came the rejection during the night by SMS. That was ridiculous. We are all disappointed,” he was quoted as saying.
Racing Club president Rodolfo Molina had said on Saturday that Matthaeus was due to arrive “next week” and to take over from Ricardo Caruso Lombardi, who resigned a fortnight ago.
Matthaeus captained Germany to the 1990 World Cup title and is the nation’s most-capped player with 150 matches. As a coach he won league titles with Partizan Belgrade and Red Bull Salzburg and has also worked in Hungary, Israel and Brazil.
- Ballack will not join Germany captaincy debate - Jul 07, 2010
- Iranians cancel match with Serbs over Israeli coach - Feb 21, 2012
- Captaincy row threatens German harmony, World Cup chances - Jul 06, 2010
- Villarreal sacks coach Molina - Mar 19, 2012
- Klose quietly ready to reach his century - Jul 02, 2010
- Villarreal name Lotina as new coach - Mar 20, 2012
- Bundesliga club Hamburg appoints Thorsten Fink as head coach - Oct 14, 2011
- Germany's Loew seeks feeling of trust over contract - May 11, 2010
- Bosque to name Spanish squad after May 25 - May 05, 2012
- Serbs will be a confident bunch in South Africa (Group D team profile) - May 29, 2010
- Comfortable win for Spain in Euro warm-up - May 27, 2012
- Red Cards dominate Europa League action - Nov 06, 2009
- Arsenal bent on wrecking Man U's unbeaten run: Walcott - Dec 10, 2010
- A young German team is one of the favourites (Group D team profile) - May 29, 2010
- Stuttgart's Khedira flattered by Real Madrid interest - Jul 23, 2010
Tags: adviser, bild newspaper, capped player, caruso, club president, coaching job, contract negotiations, dpa, fortnight, hamburg, hungary, league titles, lombardi, lothar matthaeus, molina, partizan belgrade, red bull salzburg, rejection, text message, world cup title