Mathews, Malinga help Sri Lanka snatch victory from defeat in Melbourne ODINovember 3rd, 2010 - 6:36 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Nov 3(ANI): Sri Lanka on Wednesday won the nail-biting Melbourne ODI against Australia by one-wicket, powered by a brilliant 132-run ninth-wicket partnership between Angelo Mathews and Lasith Malinga.
In reply to Australia’s 239-8, Sri Lanka were staring at defeat at 107-8 when No.10 Malinga came to join Mathews.
The task did look difficult, but Mathews scored an unbeaten 77 off 84 balls to handle the rest of the innings with Malinga who scored 56 off 48 balls.
The duo batted for 18.2 overs and was inching closer to the target when Malinga was run out with one run required.
However, last man Muttiah Muralidaran (four not out) did not disappoint, and finished the innings off in style by hitting a boundary down the leg side off Shane Watson.
Talking about the match, Sri Lankan skipper Kumar Sangakkara lauded both the batsman, and also reserved special appreciation for Mathews.
“Angelo and Lasith were unbelievable. He is the greatest asset we have had over the last year. He can bowl, he can bat, total champion. He is still 21, 22,” Sangakkara said.
Australian captain Michael Clarke was shocked to have lost the match from an unbelievable position, but admitted Sri Lanka deserved full credit for the victory.
“I honestly don’t know how we lost this game. I thought we could have done better with the bat, but from 8 for 107… Having said that, full credit must go to Sri Lanka,” Clarke said.
Brief Scorecard: Australia 239-8 (Hussey 71 not out, Perera 5-46) Sri Lanka 243-9 (Mathews 77 not out, Malinga 56, Doherty 4-46) (ANI)
- Oz inability to destroy opposing teams a serious issue: Clarke - Nov 04, 2010
- Scoreboard: India vs. Sri Lanka, fifth ODI - Feb 14, 2012
- Sangakkara wants team to improve after miraculous win over Australia - Nov 05, 2010
- Scorecard: India vs. Sri Lanka, second ODI - Jul 24, 2012
- Sri Lanka elect to bat against Australia - Mar 05, 2011
- Scoreboard: India vs. Sri Lanka, second ODI - Feb 08, 2012
- Tea scoreboard: India vs. Sri Lanka, Third Test, Day 4 - Aug 06, 2010
- Lunch scoreboard: India vs. Sri Lanka, Third Test, Day 4 - Aug 06, 2010
- Tea scoreboard: India vs Sri Lanka, Third Test, Day 2 - Aug 04, 2010
- India beat Sri Lanka, win first ODI overseas in 7 months (Roundup) - Feb 08, 2012
- Scoreboard: India vs. Sri Lanka, Third Test, Day 2 - Aug 04, 2010
- Scoreboard: India vs. Sri Lanka, Third Test, Day 3 - Aug 05, 2010
- Scoreboard of New Zealand's innings against Sri Lanka - Mar 29, 2011
- Scoreboard: India vs. Sri Lanka, Third Test, Day 4 - Aug 06, 2010
- India fall 51 short of target set by Sri Lanka (Roundup) - Feb 21, 2012
Tags: australian captain, balls, batsman, captain michael, champion, last man, leg side, match, mathews, melbourne, michael clarke, muralidaran, odi, reply, sangakkara, scorecard, shane watson, target, victory, wicket partnership