Mashrafe Mortaza named new Bangladesh captainJune 23rd, 2009 - 6:16 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, June 23 (IANS) Bangladesh Tuesday named fast bowler Mashrafe Mortaza as captain of the national team, replacing Mohammad Ashraful, for the cricket tours of West Indies and Zimbabwe.
The Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) said the move was aimed at relieving the burden on Ashraful and allow him to focus on his batting.
Ashraful took over the captaincy from Habibul Bashar in June 2007.
Under Ashraful’s captaincy, Bangladesh won only eight games in 38 ODIs, and failed to win a Test, losing 12 out of 13. His performance with the bat suffered in both forms of the game as captain.
“We want him (Ashraful) to play his natural game. He has the potential,” BCB chief selector Rafiqul Alam said.
He also said that change was not related to Bangladesh’s poor performance in the recently concluded Twenty20 World Cup.
Bangladesh could not move beyond the preliminary stage of the Twenty20 World Cup losing to India and Ireland in their first round matches.
BCB’s Media and Communications Committee Chairman Mohammed Jalal Yunus thanked Ashraful for his contribution as skipper.
“We all know his quality and what he is capable of as a batsman and we are confident that without the burden of captaincy his batting would flourish and he would contribute more to the team.”
All-rounder Shakib Al Hasan has been named vice captain.
Bangladesh will play two Tests, three ODIs and a Twenty20 in West Indies starting July 3.
- Bangladesh recalls Shahadat for Windies series - Oct 01, 2011
- Asia Cup: Bangladesh recall Mortaza, drop Tamim - Mar 06, 2012
- India have batting to overpower Bangladesh (Evening Lead, World Cup match preview) - Feb 18, 2011
- Bangladesh could be a team to watch out for (Team Profile, World Cup Countdown) - Feb 13, 2011
- Bangladesh elect to bat against India - Jun 16, 2010
- India seem superior, Bangladesh hoping for 2007 replay - Feb 18, 2011
- Sri Lanka elect to bat against Bangladesh - Jun 18, 2010
- Australia elect to bat against Bangladesh - May 06, 2010
- Bangladesh spoils Tendulkar's 100th international ton (Roundup) - Mar 16, 2012
- World Twenty20: Pakistan elect to bat against Bangladesh - May 02, 2010
- Bangladesh not weighed down by pressure: Shakib - Feb 18, 2011
- Bangladesh Cricket Board director questions Shakib's axing - Sep 18, 2011
- No DRS for Bangladesh-Windies series - Oct 02, 2011
- Asia Cup: Bangladesh put India in to bat - Mar 16, 2012
- Mortaza, Kapali recalled in Bangladesh ODI squad for Oz series - Mar 28, 2011
Tags: al hasan, bangladesh cricket board, bashar, batsman, bcb, communications committee, cricket tours, dhaka, eight games, jalal, mohammad ashraful, odis, play two, poor performance, rounder, s media, twenty20 world cup, vice captain, west indies, yunus