Marykom, Sushil and Vijender to get Khel RatnaJuly 29th, 2009 - 7:00 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 29 (IANS) For the first time since the inception of the Rajiv Khel Ratna Award in 1991, three sportspersons — four-time world boxing champion Mangte Chungneijang Marykom, Olympic bronze medallists boxer Vijender Singh and wrestler Sushil Kumar — will receive the country’s highest sporting honour.
The only other time more than one sportsperson was bestowed the award was in 2002-03 when shooter Anjali Vedpathak and athlete K.M. Beenamol shared it.
The sports ministry also announced the list of 15 Arjuna Award winners Wednesday.
India’s opening batsman Gautam Gambhir, world No.6 badminton player Saina Nehwal and trap shooter Ronjan Sodhi, who equalled the world record, are among those selected for the Arjuna Award.
The selection committee headed by former table tennis player Indu Puri also selected Olympic medallist Sushil’s coach Satpal and former All England Badminton champion and Saina’s coach Pullela Gopichand for the Dronacharya Award.
The prize money for the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna, Arjuna, Dronacharya and Dhyanchand Awards have been increased.
Khel Ratna prize money has been hiked from Rs.500,000 to Rs.750,000 while Arjuna, Dronacharya and Dhyanchand Awards prize money has been increased from Rs.300,000 to Rs.500,000.
List of awardees:
Rajiv Khel Ratna: M.C. Marykom (boxer), Vijender Kumar (boxer) and Sushil Kumar (wrestling)
Arjuna Award: Mangal Singh Champia (archery), Sinimol Paulose (athletics), Saina Nehwal (badminton), L. Saritha Devi (boxing), Tania Sachdeva (chess), Gautam Gambhir (cricket), Ignatius Tirkey (hockey), Surinder Kaur (hockey), Pankaj Shirsat (kabaddi), Satish Joshi (rowing), Ranjan Sodhi (shooting), Poulami Ghatak (table tennis), Yogeshwar Dutt (wrestling), G.L. Yadav (yachting), Parul Parmar (badminton disabled)
Dronacharya Award: Baldev Singh (hockey), Jaidev Bisht (boxing), Satpal (wrestling) and Pullela Gopichand (badminton)
Dhyanchand Award: Ishar Singh Deol (athletics), Satbir Singh Dahya (wrestling)
- President presents Khel Ratna, Arjuna awards - Aug 29, 2009
- More than one sportsperson to get Khel Ratna - Jul 20, 2009
- More than two sportspersons likely to get Khel Ratna (correcting intro, lead) - Jul 20, 2009
- Vijender, Mary Kom, and Sushil get Khel Ratna - Jul 29, 2009
- Vijay, Yogeshwar honoured with Khel Ratna; 25 get Arjuna - Aug 29, 2012
- President Patil presents National Sports awards to 25 sportspersons - Aug 29, 2009
- Vijay, Yogeshwar awarded Khel Ratna; Yuvraj gets Arjuna (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- Two boxers, one wrestler to get Khel Ratna award - Aug 29, 2009
- 19 Arjuna Awards to be conferred this year - Aug 18, 2011
- P T Usha to head selection committee for National sports awards - Jul 23, 2010
- Ministry announces list of sports awards - Aug 05, 2010
- Two get Khel Ratna, 25 Arjuna Award - Aug 19, 2012
- President confers Narang with Khel Ratna, Arjuna for 19 athletes - Aug 29, 2011
- President confers National Sports Awards (Lead) - Aug 29, 2010
- Yogeshwar, Vijay Kumar recommended for Khel Ratna - Aug 18, 2012
Tags: anjali, arjuna award, badminton player, england badminton, gopichand, kabaddi, olympic medallist, rajiv gandhi, rs 500, satish joshi, satpal, sodhi, sports ministry, sportsperson, sushil kumar, table tennis player, tirkey, trap shooter, world boxing, yogeshwar