Maruti tops at Monsoon Challenge RallyJuly 22nd, 2012 - 8:49 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, July 22 (IANS) Karthick Maruti (co-driver S. Sankar Anand) with a penalty of 1 minute 52 seconds emerged overall champion in the Mahindra Monsoon Challenge Rally that concluded here Sunday.
Driving a SUV (Open), Maruti led from the start as the 31 vehicles travelled from Bangalore to Goa with night halts at Mangalore and Shimoga. In second place, eight seconds behind, was Sanjay Takale (Mohd Mushtafa) while Amittrajit Ghosh (Neerav Mehta) were third.
The 10-second gap that he enjoyed going into the third and final leg Sunday, provided him a good cushion as Takale fought back on the last day, but could make up only two seconds.
Ganesh Moorthy (T. Nagarajan) topped in the Car (Open) class while Shanmuga SN (Adithy Anthony) won in the SUV-OE (stock) category.
The 31 finishers had to negotiate, not just the monsoon rains, but also a tricky route that was a mix of highways and twisty secondary roads which wended through forest regions. The cleverly placed Time Control points also added some spice to the proceedings.
Overall/SUV-Open: Karthick Maruti / S Sankar Anand 1 (1min, 52secs penalty); Sanjay Takale / Mohd Mushtafa 2 (00:02:00); Amittrajit Ghosh / Neerav Mehta 3 (00:02:08).
SUV-OE: Shanmugha SN / Adithy Anthony 1 (00:06:30); Chidananda Murthy / BS Sujith Kumar 2 (00:06:38); T Sreenivasan / N Sugumaran 3 (00:08:25).
Car-Open: Ganesh Moorthy / T Nagarajan 1 (00:02:22); T Sasikumar / M Prakash 2 (00:02:27); AK Ramesh / Pradeep Kumar 3 (00:02:38).
Corporate: Philip Baklin / David Sharon 1 (00:23:40); Harsha Vardhan Raju / Partibhan 2 (00:25.14).
- Satish-Savera combine top in Spice Cup - Sep 09, 2012
- Motorsports: Sasikumar takes lead in Mahindra Monsoon Challenege - Jul 20, 2012
- Takale completes Mahindra sweep at Dakshin Dare Rally - Apr 14, 2012
- Sathish, Savera lead in TSD Rally - Sep 07, 2012
- Gill consolidates lead - Apr 13, 2012
- Gill, Takale lead in Dakshin Dare Rally - Apr 10, 2012
- Satish and Savera emerge champs in TSD Rally - Aug 20, 2012
- Dakshin Dare Rally: Gill, Nataraj emerge champs - Apr 13, 2012
- Rally of Odisha: Gaurav Gill fastest on day one - Dec 10, 2011
- Motorsports: Vaidya, Joshua in lead - Jun 14, 2011
- Gill ahead by 38 seconds in Karnataka-1000 Rally - Aug 20, 2011
- Bawa maintains lead in Desert Storm - Feb 26, 2011
- Sidhu, Michael triumph in Desert Storm rally - Feb 27, 2011
- Ghosh annexes overall title at South India Rally - Jun 26, 2011
- Rana, Naik keep lead in Raid de Himalaya rally - Oct 14, 2011
Tags: co driver, eight seconds, forest regions, ghosh, karthick, mangalore, mehta, monsoon rains, murthy, nagarajan, pradeep kumar, raju, sanjay, sankar, second gap, secondary roads, shimoga, sreenivasan, stock category, time control