Martin’s inclusion in Test side to be decided Monday

March 15th, 2009 - 7:58 pm ICT by IANS  

Hamilton, March 15 (IANS) New Zealand’s Fast bowler Chris Martin will have to prove his speed and form at the nets at Seddon Park to earn an international recall for the first Test against India starting Wednesday.
The 34-year-old paceman was included in New Zealand’s squad of 13 for the first Test on the strong backing of captain Daniel Vettori and coach Andy Moles.

Earlier in the season, Vettori had embarrassed the selection panel led by Glenn Turner and also including Dion Nash, John Wright and most recently Mark Greatbatch, by saying he felt Martin was the best seamer in the country, even though he had been excluded from his side to face the West Indies.

The word is that at least two of the selectors - Turner and Nash - are still convinced Martin has lost his zip and do not believe he should be included at Hamilton, reports New Zealand Herald.

The selectors have allowed him a place in the squad and want Vettori to assess his performance at the nets before he and Moles make a final decision on the playing 11. Martin last played for New Zealand in Australia, where he took six wickets in the two Tests he played.

Moles has played down talks that the selectors didn’t want Martin in the Test squad.

“The selectors are strong men,” Moles said. “They wouldn’t have put someone in the side they didn’t want or they didn’t consider good enough.,” Moles said.

“I can assure Chris Martin that the selectors haven’t said that they didn’t want him. Martin is a fine performer, and has a good track record. He will bowl at the nets Monday and if he is at the top of his game and is bowling well, he will play,” he added.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in Sports |