Martina Hingis quits tennis over doping chargeNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:16 am ICT by admin
But she told a press conference that the pressure of the investigation had forced her to quit tennis.
Hingis branded her position “horrendous” - insisting: “My only performance enhancer is the love of the game.
“When I was informed I had failed the test following my defeat at Wimbledon I was shocked and appalled. I have no desire to spend the next seven years fighting doping officials. I’m frustrated and angry because I believe I’m 100 per cent innocent,” The Sun quoted her, as saying.
Swiss Hingis, who has earned over 10 million pounds in her career, was knocked out in the third round at Wimbledon by US star Laura Granville.
Her personal life was in turmoil at the time as she had just been dumped by Czech player Radek Stepanek.
In 2001 she backed a drive to educate youngsters about the dangers of drug abuse.
The Sony Ericsson Women’s Tour last night said it had received no “official information” about Hingis’s drug test result. (ANI)
- Hingis at peace with Olympic decision - Aug 01, 2012
- India pin hopes on doubles at Australian Open - Jan 15, 2012
- Glamorous 'granny' Kournikova plays Wimbledon 'veterans' doubles - Jun 30, 2010
- Breast cancer was the first opponent Navratilova feared - Aug 09, 2010
- Paes thanks Stepanek for helping him win Australian Open - Jan 28, 2012
- Paes-Stepanek beat Marrero-Verdasco, meet Bryan brothers in semis - Mar 29, 2012
- Paes-Vesnina go down fighting in Australian Open final (Lead) - Jan 29, 2012
- Point to prove for Indian stars at Wimbledon - Jun 24, 2012
- Paes confirms participation at London Olympics - Jun 29, 2012
- Bhupathi-Bopanna, Paes-Stepanek advance to Miami quarters - Mar 27, 2012
- Bhupathi-Bopanna clear first hurdle at Wimbledon - Jun 27, 2012
- Stosur eyes Tour Championships in Doha despite clash with Delhi CWG - Sep 05, 2010
- Sania-Vesnina knocked out, Paes-Stepanek through to semi-finals - Jan 25, 2012
- Gasquet tests positive for cocaine, faces two-year ban - May 11, 2009
- Murray's pups proudly display their master's medals (Olympics Diary) - Aug 08, 2012
Tags: 10 million, appalled, been dumped, drug abuse, drug test, failed the test, horrendous, laura granville, martina hingis, performance enhancer, personal life, press conference, quits, radek stepanek, tennis, test result, turmoil, wimbledon, world no1, youngsters